Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Replacing Hard Drive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing Hard Drive
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I am replacing the hard drive (defective, but still works) on my 15" Macbook Pro, early 2011, running OSX 10.9 Mavericks. I bought an SDD from OWC and, following their recommendation, have installed the SDD on an external drive, plugged it into my computer, formatted it, and now wish to install a clean version of Mavericks on it. I believe this requires installing Snow Leopard (I have the disk) first and then installing Mavericks. I then plan to transfer data from the old hard drive using Migration Assistant. Unfortunately, I don't know how to install Snow Leopard onto the SDD. When I try, I get a message saying that I can't install it. Has anyone a solution?

Posts: 271 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
It occurred to me that I might remove the old hard drive from the laptop and replace it with the formatted SDD, install Snow Leopard and Mavericks on the SDD, then install the old hard drive on the external drive and use Migration Assistant to transfer data from the old hard drive.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Gordon,
Have you first formatted the SSD correctly?
It has to be formatted using the GUID option found in Disk Utility.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I formatted the SSD using Mac OS Extended Journaled. I'll reformat using the GUID option. Thanks for your response.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Problem, Chita. I was unable to find the GUID option on Disk Utility. How do I find it?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Gordon and explained why he could not find GUID.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post