Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    How to copy folder contents as text?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to copy folder contents as text?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
In earlier OS versions it was possible to copy the titles of docs & folders within a folder as text, then paste as text to a document (Textedit, or whatever.)

OS 10.6.2 copies the actual FOLDERS, with no titles. (Then when the document is saved, there's link that opens each one - but with no title. See attachment)

QUESTION: Is there a way other than a screen shot to copy the text titles within a folder?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Someone in the MacGroup passed this on to me over a year ago, but I can't remember who it was (unfortunately).

First of all, select List view while in the Finder. Open any folders that you want to see the contents of, by clicking the down arrow. Select the Folders (and their contents that you want), copy them. In TextEdit, go to Edit/Paste and Match Style.

Depending how extensive of a text list you want, you may need to experiment a touch.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Mike - It's the "Paste and Match Style" that worked. I had just copied/paste without checking the Textedit menu.

Terrific! (How we depend on the basics!!)

Actually this is valuable for prepping a doc to list contents for a job.

Now wouldn't it be lovely if one could copy BOTH folder icon (because it actually creates a link to the folder) AND title. This would provide a way to list folders for a particular objective in one document, then click the linked icon to open it.

As mentioned above, the folder icons copied into Textedit behave as real links and open a folder when clicked. However there's no way to tell which one is being opened. (see screen shot in my post.)

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I miss the older ability to copy/paste the folder icon, and files within it too - even though it wasn't linkable. It was great, as you mentioned, for prepping and printing a list of disk contents for a job.

There may be a way to still make it happen. I don't have the time right now to experiment too much, but I did try this:
• Open TextEdit, then open its Preferences
• Under the New Document Tab, check Smart Links
• In the Finder, List View, click the down arrow on the Folder, Select the Folder and its contents and copy
• In TextEdit just do a normal Paste - NOT Paste and Match Style

This was totally unexpected. It pasted a view of each file. And, all linkable. Double-clicking the file, opened it in the program it was created it. Double-clicking the Folder icon, next to the first document, opened a Finder window with the files listed.

I'm sure that some experimentation with the Preferences in TextEdit will yield some other unexpected results.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I did a touch more experimentation.

With Smart Links checked in the Preferences, only files that the OS is comfortable with will actually preview when pasted into TextEdit. Ex: JPG, PDF, text files. Double-clicking them will open them in the program based on your system designation. Meaning, if you have your .jpg files set to normally open in Preview it will do so. My .pdf files open in Acrobat. I suspect that all Adobe files (.indd, .psd, .ai) will show only an icon when pasted into TextEdit. I tried it with an InDesign file. The ID icon shows (though not named), double-clicking it opens it in InDesign. It's really great flexibility if that suits anyone's needs.

Getting back to the Text only scheme, the Paste and Match Style is as good as it gets. Meaning if you select a folder and its contents in the Finder, and choose Paste and Match Style you'd get a text only list. I suppose if you were using it to list the contents of a disk for a job, you could easily format a few things to make it more logical (ex: leave a folder name as is, and just insert a tab in front of each file item.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, the plot thickens.

None of Mike's suggestions resulted in file+title, only the clickable linked icon with no label as in my original post.

WORKAROUND:
Copy & paste to get icons.
Save the file, or the links won't work.
Copy and "Paste and Match Style" to get the titles.
Do returns after each icon.
Copy/paste the titles beside each icon, one by one.

There's "gotta be a better way," but maybe that's it for now.

Appleworks & Bean work to some extent, but Bean is a fancier version of Textedit for all practical purposes.

Did a copy/paste into Pages & it went hog wild: Pasted repetitions of the text labels that took up 17 2-column pages. ????

Will let it go for now, but an interesting problem, since in OS9 this was an easy task (except for clickable linked icons).

Have to rely on screen shots for now.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
1 step forward, 2 steps back - or maybe in this case the reverse.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Before pasting into TextEdit, hit Command-Shift-T to put TextEdit into plain text mode, then paste in your Finder copy. I just did this with the normal Past (Command-V) after a copy in the Finder (Command-C).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jack - works great.

Would still be REALLY nice to be able to copy/paste clickable icons WITH labels somehow. Good for a "wish list."