Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Opinions on dual-layer DVD brands?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on dual-layer DVD brands?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted
I'd like to make backup copies of the system DVD that came with my Mac. It's too big to fit on a standard DVD, so I'll need to buy a dual-layer disc.

I've never bought dual-layer media before, so I'm looking for any opinions regarding brands or the relative merits of DVD-R or DVD+R.

Any and all comments welcome.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Every time I stray away from Verbatim I regret it!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
I agree, and haven't bought any non-Verbatim discs in years. But I've mostly bought CD-R. I've purchased exactly one 25-pack of DVD-R.

But until now I've never purchased DL. Verbatim makes dual layer disks in both the DVD-R and DVD+R formats. My MacBook Pro supports both formats.

Given that, do you have a preference for -R or +R?

For what its worth, the drive Apple puts in here is made by Hitachi. Hitachi owns Maxell. I'd like to think that using a drive & media made by the same company would be good, but without any specific recommendation, I'll probably stick with Verbatim.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
-R is generally more likely to read on an older machines (DVD players) than +R. With machines in the past three years or so it usually doesn't matter.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every time I stray away from Verbatim I regret it!
Here's a follow-up. I mentioned that the DVD-R discs I bought before were Verbatim, and that I haven't bought any non-Verbatim disks in at least five years.

But at Microcenter I saw a great price on a spindle of Philips DVD+R dual layer (though Philips calls it "Double Layer") discs a few weeks ago, so I bought 'em.

The price was about half the price for Verbatim.

Lesson learned: You get what you pay for.

And so far, I've managed to burn zero disks successfully, and have 2 coasters.

The first burn was a test of duping a video DVD using DVD Remaster Pro, which I've previously used with single-layer discs with nary a problem. It uses lossy compression to get a DL video to fit on a single-layer disc.

The 2nd burn was using Disk Utility. I'd made a DMG file of my Leopard install disk, which is a dual-layer disk. And obviously, lossy compression isn't an option here.

I'm going to try one more test, using it to copy a bunch of files in the Finder. But if Disk Utility doesn't work, I'm not hopeful about the Finder.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622