Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Mavericks PROBLEM with 2 monitors.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mavericks PROBLEM with 2 monitors.
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
posted
Hi All:

The problem (?) is solved. See Jim Cutler's comments below and my reply.

I just this morning I cancelled my order for a New Mac Pro. The computer was fine but during my quest to select which monitor I wanted (I use 2 for video work) I was torn between two 27" Apple Thunderbold displays or two 27" Dell U2713H Premiere Color monitors.

I decided to read the reviews for the Apple monitors and there were very many negative reviews. While I was reading the reviews I sent a link to Char and she started reading from the most recent end of the list while I read the older ones. Char then came across a post which very clearly stated that Running Mavericks no matter what make monitors you are using you Cannot have any part of one program on both displays at the same time. This applies to Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and even Apple Final Cut X.

Apple seems to think this is a feature to be proud of. But it really is not when you want a video timeline across the bottom of both monitors as could be done in all Mac OS X versions up to and including Mountain Lion.

To confirm this I called Apple tech support and the person I talked to said it was very true and there is no timeline as to when this will be changed.

Also to confirm the situation I fired up a MacBook Pro running Mavericks and a 22" monitor connected to the DisplayPort and even iMovie will not display on both screens at the same time. I find this to be incredible for a MacPro that is supposed to be directed at the professional Video, Music & graphics world. These people utilize multiple displays with the timeline running across them but not with the New MacPro which will not run any version of Mac OS X other than Mavericks or better.

Are we having fun yet?

This is off the MacPro part of the Apple web site.......... Display Support Connect up to three 4K displays or up to six Thunderbolt displays

Brian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Brian,

On the Monitor topic: The Apple display is excellent. So is the Dell. The Dell has the advantage of usability with just about any system because of multiple inputs. It also adapts to VESA mounting with no extra cost.

On the multiple display management topic: I need more data in order to comment reasonably. What Mission Control setting did you have for "Displays have separate Spaces"? Apparently, a single application window can exist in only one space.

I just recently edited a video in iMovie and put the viewer window on my second screen. I think I unchecked the box first.

Admittedly, Apple coupled more than one behavior control in that lone checkbox. I like it for some applications, hate it for others. In addition, the documentation for this "feature" is considerably less than adequate.

Mission Control Preference Panel

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show you. Don't always trust the Apple tech. Because the one I talked to did not have a clue. He was wrong and Jim Cutler is right.

I tried again and unchecked All Five of the boxes in Mission Control and all is well in river city. The two screens can have a window cross from one monitor to another.

Thank you Mr. Cutler.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Topic: Now you tell me!

Apple knowledge base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5891?viewlocale=en_US

Published Jan 1, 2014 -- Now to get the Apple Techs to read it!

Jedi Council Member
Picture of KC
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, the dual monitor option is pretty useless when you have an app that is in full screen mode. Regardless of what I do (and I have experimented a lot) when the full screen app is active, the other screen goes completely blank. Reading on the internet has turned up at least one opinion that it is not possible to fix this.

"Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end." - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posts: 573 | Location: Rochester Hills | Registered: June 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC:
As far as I can tell, the dual monitor option is pretty useless when you have an app that is in full screen mode. ...
To allow an application window to be full screen without blanking another screen, check the "Displays have separate Spaces" in the Mission Control preference pane.

As I noted before, Apple couples multiple behavior changes to this one parameter, so don't be surprised if your dock or menu bar moves or appears different.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of KC
posted Hide Post
I tried that already. It was actually the first thing I tried and it doesn't work for some reason.

Update: I found out that it was a different setting with the application's graphics. It had nothing to do with Mavericks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KC,

"Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end." - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posts: 573 | Location: Rochester Hills | Registered: June 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Mission control has nothing to do with an app running in full screen. Just click the dual arrows in the top right hand corner of the window you want to have in full screen mode.

Make sure you don't have "Mirror Displays" checked on in the "Displays" preference panes.

I don't use Mission Control, but just looked at my settings, all are checked on. Again, Mission Control does not have anything to do with running apps in full screen.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo (Jim Nichols):
Mission control has nothing to do with an app running in full screen. ...
Jim,

With more than one screen active, try this:

1. With a Finder window open on each display, make an app go full screen. What happens on each screen?
2. Return to normal display.
3. In Mission Control preferences, flip the setting for Displays have separate spaces.

Logout is required to make this change active. Log in again and repeat 1,2

6. Report any differences in how the full screen window is shown on each display.

I agree that Mission Control does not determine whether an app runs in full screen.

The Mission Control preferences setting "Displays have separate spaces" determines the multi-screen behavior of application windows set to full screen.

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
When I make an app go full screen, nothing changes on the 2nd screen. When I exit full screen mode, it returns to the same size/position it was. I get the same behavior when I make both screens go full screen. I've never messed with Mission Control, everything has always been checked ON.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo (Jim Nichols):
... I've never messed with Mission Control, everything has always been checked ON.
The behavior you describe is as designed by Apple for "Displays have separate spaces" enabled.

Full screen display behavior changes when "Displays have separate spaces" is disabled. The procedure I supplied will demonstrate the truth of this.