Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    USA Today - Apples no safer than PCs from phishing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USA Today - Apples no safer than PCs from phishing
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted

Posts: 56 | Registered: October 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Phishing has nothing to do with what OS you use.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Carver
AIM: Online Status For wgcarver
posted Hide Post
of course USA today needed circulation and trafic so they come up with a Mac is dangerous story. It's the same type of story as when you hear "Christian Sins!"

However, it is still good advise. Phishing attacks rely totally on PEBKAC to work. Be careful.

What is PEBKAC? Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Never see a doctor whose office plants have died.

Posts: 454 | Location: Eastpointe | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
That is the dumbest article I've ever read. It's comparable to saying that you can get just as lost driving a Ford as a Lexus.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Complete 'Spin CIty'
Some of the best responses:

"This article is not about how succeptable macs
are to a virus. It's about PHISHING attacks.
If you don't know the difference, you shouldn't comment."

"Anyone who has not been able to learn how to
avoid viruses, trojan horses, etc. by now,
should not even be allowed to use a computer."

"An anti-virus program will not protect you from
phishing attacks! HELLOOOHHHH!"

"PEBKAC"
(Priceless, Bill)

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
There has been a rash of anti-Apple articles of late. At Yahoo, there's a story that Apple will not service nor honor the warranty of any computer owned by someone who smokes (or lives in a household with someone who smokes). At Consumerist.com, this story was carried further with dire tales of people purchasing "a $3,000" Mac which went bad, and the consumer lost everything when Apple refused to work on it because of deadly tobacco residue. Thus 1/5 of the population can forget about purchasing a Mac.

But someone I know who is a heavy smoker (as is her husband), and when her iBook failed, she took it to an Apple store, and they didn't refuse to work on it. I, too, enjoy tobacco, (and I smoke this really nasty Canadian pipe tobacco that turns ones teeth brown and numbs the tongue), and I recently added memory to my two-year-old MacPro, and I could detect no residue on the memory cards or other component. (Dust, yes; tar, no.)

Recently, the New Yawk Times ran a story in their business section which said that, "The iPhone itself may not be so great after all. Its design is contributing to (AT&T) performance problems. Roger Entner, senior vice president for telecommunications research at Nielsen, said the iPhone’s “air interface,” the electronics in the phone that connect it to the cell towers, had shortcomings that “affect both voice and data.” He said that in the eyes of the consumer, “the iPhone has the nimbus of infallibility, ergo, it’s AT&T’s fault.” AT&T does not publicly defend itself because it will not criticize Apple under any circumstances, he said. AT&T and Apple both declined to comment on Mr. Entner’s assessments."

I somewhat doubt this, because I would expect that Apple uses a standard "air interface" design from a common supplier such as Samsung, just as they don't manufacture their own hard drives, flat panel displays, video cards &c.

Such stories disparaging to Apple products are promulgated only at certain times. They appear only when Apple stock reaches $200-per-share (or some previous peak) as it recently did. The Mac-virus story appeared during such a peak, and so did the combustible iPod story -- both of which were given generous coverage on Yahoo and in USA Today.

On December 18, Apple shares dropped to $191, so no more alarmist stories will appear for a while.

It's just about the money.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Carver
posted Hide Post
It makes sense to me. Unfortunately, there are some liberals out there who hate a successful company that is able to stand above its competition no matter how "good" the company is.

Apple meets a lot of their criteria as a good company. Same sex benefits, green technology etc.

Before you raise your hackles over the word liberals, notice the word "some" before it. I didn't say all, but they know who they are.

Posts: 454 | Location: Eastpointe | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
As someone who enjoys a fine cigar from time to time AND works on computers for a living, allow me to offer an explanation on this "smoke damaged" policy. I have worked on computers that repair/warranty was declined due to the thick coating/residue found inside the unit. This was not merely an odor of smoke but 1/8" buildup of tar/nicotine/smoke. Besides being classified as a Biohazard (Gov't standards), this coating damages computers by not allowing components to cool properly. This is why the warranty get voided. Not because they smoke but the amount of residue found.

A co-worker stopped smoking after seeing an iMac heavily coated and commented about what his lungs must look like since he was a pack a day smoker. The customer admitted he was a heavy smoker and kept his ashtray next to the iMac. Roll Eyes

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
The Consumerist.com site had similar comments describing the 1/8" layer of tar on computers owned by smokers. I find this difficult to believe. I don't repair computers for a living, but as I said, I recently installed additional memory in my two-year-old MacPro, and if anyone should have a coating of tar on their computer, it's me, but I saw zero tar or any other residue (other than dust) on any interior surface.

Furthermore, if the fabled 1/8-inch layer were possible, why doesn't it form in the interior of automobiles of smokers? I've ridden in the cars of smokers, and they smelled like Zug Island, but I've never seen a car with a 1/8" residue inside.

If the 1/8" layer were possible, two components 1/4" apart would become fused together. Hard drives would have to be chiseled out. Optical drives would become stuck closed. Looking down at my keyboard as I type this, I see that all of the keys are much closer at the base than an eighth of an inch, so why aren't they stuck together?

Sounds like more Hokey-Pokey to me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I will vouch for the layer of tar/nicotine/whateveritwas inside an iMac personally. It is disgusting...

I have also witnessed dust bunnies so thick in G4 and G5 towers that the power supply overheated and failed.

Apparently you are much cleaner smoker/computer user than others are.

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
The part of your story that I find difficult to swallow (or inhale) is the commonly-cited figure of the residue being 1/8-inch thick. The eraser on a common pencil is 1/4" thick, so you're saying that the residue was half that thickness? The corrugated-cardboard shipping carton that my Mac arrived in is less than 1/8" thick. (I just measured it, and you can go measure yours.)

You're telling us that this iMac (or at least its interior) was covered in a black tar thicker than the box it was shipped in?

A CD or DVD is about 1/16" thick; would one even fit in the iMac's tray or slot if there were already an eighth-inch of tar there? Since circuit boards are not 1/8" thick, the weight of this iMac must've easily doubled. What about the smoker's desk, chair and lamp? Were they even visible? Did the smoker leave tarry footprints everywhere?

Uh-huh. Uhm, lizzen, I gotta go now and pour the tar off of my keyboard.

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Keith,

It would appear you spend a great deal of time measuring things Wink

I will offer up that the buildup inside this iMac was at least 1/16" thick. The color was not black but a tan/beige variety. I did not notice any additional weight when carrying the computer. There was also a smoke stain on the LCD and inside of the glass panel that we could not remove with the cleaners we use.

The Power Supply kept shutting down from overheating due to the buildup of whatever was on it. The computer was used in a small room by many smokers. This led to the issue at hand of random shutdowns. Since this was not manufacturers defect, the repair could not be covered under warranty. Luckily, the customer took personal responsibility for the cause of this situation and ended up purchasing a new unit.

This whole issue of smoking around a computer shouldn't affect the average smoker. Only extreme cases will be the exception.

Thank you for playing Devils Advocate on this topic. As always, I appreciate your sarcasm and wit for what it is. Mele Kalikimaka you curmudgeon Smile

Dave McGuire

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Well, at least we've managed to halve the thickness of the tar. That's some progress.

The original topic, remember, of this discussion was Yahoo's alarmist news story that Apple now refuses to honor the warranty of a Mac used by a smoker, which, like most Yahoo news about Apple, I still consider buncombe.

I spent much of my life employed as a diesel mechanic, and any mechanic can eyeball the difference between 11/32" and 3/8". That's why I knew at once that the component parts wouldn't even fit together had they been 1/8" thicker.

We'll agree that the tar was thick and leave it at that.

Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Carver
posted Hide Post
Way back in the day when I was an Apple technician in an Apple dealer in Massachusetts, we would occasionally see one of those sticky nicotine macs and Apple II's. I was way ahead of my time on cleaning and cooling the system and we'd include an annual cleaning of the computer as part of the sale. (we were about $150 more than surrounding dealers, but you got that checkup and cleaning)

to get all of the gunk including dust, nicotine, etc off the boards, we used Zep electrical contact cleaner. However for environmental reasons, it got a bad name. One ingredient was freon.

However Zep has reworked the product without the freon and I've heard it works just as well. zep Dynamo is an all-purpose electrical cleaner/degreaser that's safe on the computer.

http://www.zep.com/products/pr...=2&SearchTerm=dynamo

Just spray it liberally, raising everyone's taxes as you go, with the equipment on its side with a sweeping motion, top to bottom, to the point that the components are dripping wet. Give the cleaner about 1/2 hour to evaporate off the components and you should be sparkling new.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
A friend told me that this week the fan on her MacBook went bad, so she drove to the nearest Apple Store (in A2) where it was repaired and returned to her.

Not only is she a heavy smoker, but so is her husband and so are her kids! If any computer is encrusted with tar 1/2" thick it is hers, yet her laptop was repaired without so much as a comment, contrary to the anti-Apple panic reports at Yahoo.

She reported that the store was packed and that all 20 Apple employees were kept busy.