Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iOS    iPhone slows down after updating software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone slows down after updating software
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted
I updated my 86 year old neighbors iPhone to the current OS and now her phone is painfully slow and I'm the bad guy. I think it's a 6 or less. Is this normal and what is the solution?

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 841 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Could be apps redownloading or updating in the background. I have a 6 with the latest updates and I'm not seeing any slowdown. I'd also check to see how much space is left on it. The only time mine is slow is when it's reinstalling an app that the system offloaded because I haven't used it in ages.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You may need to have her Restore the phone through iTunes to bring back better performance.

What version was she running before and what is she on now? The age of the phone may play into performance issues too.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
How do I know how old the phone is or what model. I suspect you are right Dave.

Posts: 841 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
How does she restore her phone through iTunes? she don't have a computer. Can I do it for her on my Mac and will she lose all her contact info?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Can I take it to the Apple Store or should I take it to the provider of her phone service?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Okay I'm finding out that she (my 85 year old neighbor) probably has a iPhone 6 and it is a given that since I updated her phones software to ver 11.2.6 it will be slowing down and it did. I'm also finding out the the remedy might be to get a new battery installed at Apple for somewhere around 50 bucks. Do we all agree here?

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Getting a new battery will definitely make a difference.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
If she has an iPhone 6, she will need to have a backup of all data before doing anything else. She can use iCloud or iTunes to create that backup.

After that she can have her battery replaced at the Apple store for $29 + tax until the end of the year. Price goes back to $79 + tax on January 1, 2019.

I still suggest restoring her phone via iTunes first. You can use your computer to do this. Yes, her data will be erased if she doesn't back the phone up beforehand. Again, she can use iCloud or your computer for the backup(if she trusts you and her data).

She must know her AppleID and Password if she uses Find My iPhone BEFORE you restore the phone or she gets a new battery.

Best of Luck!

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Tks Dave, I'm not sure she even knows what her Apple ID is or password. She might decide to just get a new phone. To be continued.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Okay- Here's the update and final action. Told her to go to phone provider Verizon and buy a new phone. I threw in the towel.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Tell her to have the Apple store write down her ID and password in large letters on something small enough for her so she can keep it in her purse.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Tell her to have the Apple store write down her ID and password in large letters on something small enough for her so she can keep it in her purse.

This is not a good idea...

1) The Apple store has no idea what her AppleID is, let alone what her password is.

2) She will most likely be referred to AppleCare for support in locating her AppleID and resetting her password.

The best solution is to see if she was using iCloud in the first place. If she was, her AppleID (which is an email address) can be found there. If she never used iCloud before, she can sent up an AppleID now. Then she would be able to create an iCloud backup before a restore of the iPhone software.

George... if she gets a new phone and can't move her contacts to it, you will still be blamed for her troubles. All of us know its not your fault but you have become her scapegoat.

Good Luck!

Dave McGuire

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
My guess is that she never used her account. I was assuming that the Apple Store could just set her up with a new ID when she purchased her new phone, set it up and write down the ID and password she chose for her. If AppleCare can retrieve her info, that would be icing on the cake.