Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iOS    iPhone backup issue for Windows user
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone backup issue for Windows user
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
Researching for an out-of-state friend. She has an iPhone 5s that needs Apple Store/Genius Bar service (may or may not be a warranty repair/replace). Genius says she needs to back up the phone before further action is taken. She says she is unable to back up the phone to iTunes (don't know what version) on her Windows PC. Apple Genius tells her that, from the phone, can back up to iCloud, but having done this, will no longer ever be able to use iTunes to again back up to the PC. She is distressed by this, believing she will forever be beholden to iCloud and have to pay annual fees once her iPhone backups exceed 5GB.
This all sounds a bit fishy to me, but I've never encountered this situation and don't know the quirks of iOS/Windows iTunes interaction.
I use USB wired backup with my iPhone/iTunes on Mavericks, I always see a choice to backup to computer or iCloud.
Is there maybe some confusion on the part of one of the parties between iCloud backups and iCloud Drive, two different things (I think)?
And, I don't have enough info from a non-technical person to determine why a backup can't be done from the phone to the PC.
Any input from the Wise Ones will be helpful.
Thanks.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
iPhone / iPad backups work the same on a Mac or PC. They are just easier on the Mac.

She can backup to her PC and use iCloud all day long. Either she misunderstood what the AppleCare agent told her (Genius folks don't handle phone appointments) or that agent needs further training.

As far as being "beholden to Apple" goes... the 5GB limit of iCloud can seem small to some people, but .99 cents a month for a large chunk of extra space is quite affordable. Your friend can also delete older backups from iCloud.

If she has problems backing up to her PC, tell her to disable her antivirus while backing up. This appears to be a common issue for those in the windows world.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Thanks Deve. I was thinking along pretty much the same lines. Not sure what antivirus they're using. My friends are very non tech, and seems like they have to have their PC either go through major cleanup or outright replacement every couple of years due to various Windoze related maladies. In spite of this, even though they're using iPhones, they like to send me news items that fault Apple with any kind of problem.
I'll pass this info along and see if it takes.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post