Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iOS    Should I update my iOS device to 10.3 if my iMac is a Fusion drive?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I update my iOS device to 10.3 if my iMac is a Fusion drive?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted
With iOS 10.3 to be issued soon with the new Apple File System (APFS), how will this affect my iMac which has a Fusion Drive? Since its my iOS device that would use the APFS and not my iMac (at least not yet), is there any reason I should not update my iOS device? Would it be better to wait? Also, I use Dropbox on both devices, so would that still work with the iOS files using APFS and the iMac still on HSF? Can anyone clarify this for me? thanks, Rick

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Why do you feel that the Fusion Drive would make any difference?

Posts: 1643 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted Hide Post
Because everything I've read indicates that the Fusion Drive on a Mac is not compatible with APFS. So unless that problem is resolved, I will never be able to update my mac to an OS that uses the new file system. (its due to change later this year). I just wondered if updating my iPad to the new file system will cause problems considering I back it up to my Mac.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Updating an IOS device should be unrelated to OS X or macOS instances. Data is synced using various protocols, none of which involve direct storage access from one device to another with the exception of disk mode for iPods. And the macOS drivers for that should be around for a long time.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I have a 2TB Fusion drive on my iMac, which is running the latest version of Sierra. I've updated my iPhone 6 and iPad Air2 to iOS 10.3. Everything is functioning normally as far as I can see. I think all the flap about APFS vs Fusion drives is much ado about nothing. Much can change before the actual OS release. There are far too many Fusion drives out there for Apple to say 'so sorry.'

As to Dropbox, APFS has nothing to do with it. We use Dropbox to have access to files whether on my iPhone, iMac, Windows 10 or any other system. It's not system specific, which is why it's so popular.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post