Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iOS    What to do before upgrading to iOS9!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do before upgrading to iOS9!
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
iOS9 comes out today and brings many new features. The smart thing to do is make a BACKUP before Updating/Restoring your iPhone or iPad. By connecting your device to your computer, you can select "Back Up Now" in iTunes. For iCloud users, simply go to Settings > iCloud > Backups and chose Backup Now.

Performing the update via iTunes should be the fastest way to get iOS9 on your device(s). This really is the best way, especially for folks who don't have a lot of open space on their iPhone or iPad. If your device is having ANY weird issues currently, an Update will not solve them. Make a Backup and then Restore via iTunes. This will wipe the troublesome software off the device and let you start over clean. You can then restore your data back and life should be good again.

Remember... Updates only cause problems on devices that already have software issues.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Updated my iPhone this evening. Like the look and feel and some of the new features.
Another advantage to doing a backup directly on iTunes is that by selecting Encrypted backup, all account settings, keychains, passwords etc are also backed up, which I don't believe is the case with iCloud or unencrypted backup.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
See What's NEW in iOS 9 and What Apple didn't show us!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Terry, loved your video. One thing you didn't mention was that you need to click on show iCloud Drive in settings to have it show up. I couldn't figure out why I didn't have it on my iOS device after the update until I did some research. Tons of great info, everyone needs to watch this if they are running iOS9.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I was prompted during the update with the option to install iCloud Drive. I was wondering if there was a setting. Thanks!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post