Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iOS    iOS 11 iPad only feature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iOS 11 iPad only feature
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
At our October meeting during Q&A, it was brought up that iOS 11 gives the iPad a new feature that that shows you characters on the keyboard you can enable by "flicking up". This time saver brings more functionality to the User.

A member wondered why it isn't on the iPhone or is it a hidden feature? I thought it was available on the iPhone 6S or higher. Another member thought they heard it was only available on the iPhone 8.

We were both incorrect about this. Another much research, it appears that this is iPad specific. That makes a lot of sense do to the larger keyboard of the iPad.

The iPhone does have the new Quicktype keyboard that allows for one typing on either the left or right side of the iPhone in the messages app. Thumb typers can rejoice in this feature now!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I was not able to attend that meeting. What exactly does this new keyboard on the iPad do?

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Just wondering about the "flicking up" to access other characters. On my iPad I have to pull down to select the characters. Is this something that can be selected as an option as to whether you flick up or flick down or am I just misinterpreting what you meant?

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
From the member who suggested that this was
an iPad only feature Wink...
The iPhone keyboards are just too small...

Nina, you are correct, Dave means flick down. Smile
Also, pressing the key for a moment, will give
to you other glyphs to select, if available.

Donna, the new keyboard displays glyphs
(1, &, ", etc.) that you would normally have to
select multiple keys (Shift, Command, etc.)
to access. Now you see them in a lighter color
and flick the key down to enter them into typing.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post