Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iOS    My Apple Watch sees dead people (phones?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Apple Watch sees dead people (phones?)
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
AIM: Online Status For StevenGold
posted
I have a Series 3 watch, the NON-CELLULAR version.

I accidentally took my iPhone X swimming with me this weekend (a pool party; I stepped into the pool without removing the phone from my bathing suit pocket. When I realized it was on me, I instantly got out, before fully stepping in the the pool. Inspire of Apple claiming it was water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes (it had been submerged sightly less than that and for less than 5 minutes), it crapped out and I'm now attempting to revive it in a container of silica gel.... but I digress.

So for now, the phone with its "Watch" app and interface are unavailable but something is still talking to the watch because I'm getting texts, iMessages, and emails displayed on the watch!

How is this possible?

My 2010 MBP & 2011 iMac have old Bluetooth hardware and can't talk to the watch, but I have a iPad Pro which I assume might. But the iPad Pro "Bluetooth" settings don't show the watch as a device (the iPhone did).

So how is the watch communicating and with whom??

I do have a blue "wi-fi" icon symbol displayed on the watch -- I don't remember seeing that when it's connected to the phone -- so I'm assuming it must be communicating via Wi-Fi (which I didn't think it had). But who on my internal network is talking to the watch? How (for example) is it getting iMessages?

My only explanation is the watch is seeing and talking to my dead phone.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Your Watch IS connecting to your phone still.

Since it is paired via the Watch App on the phone, and the phones is not completely dead yet, your connection is still hanging in there.

I hope you have AppleCare+ on your phone!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2107 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
I do have AppleCare+ on it (wouldn't buy a phone without it!) but I'm hoping the silica gel desiccant will take care of it and save me $99.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
Well it's stilltalking to something (can read & write texts, use Siri, etc.) and the iPhone is now officially 100% dead. A brick.

Have Genius appt Thurs.

But the strange thing is the "liquid indicator" (visible thru the SIM slot?) isn't red! ??
Is it "liquid damage" if the indicator doesn't show it?

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Can you see condensation in the rear camera???

That would be proof of liquid...

The LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) can turn Pink or Red when it comes in direct contact with liquid. There are other LCI stickers inside the iPhone as well.

Aren't you glad you purchased AppleCare+ on this phone??? $99 is much cheaper than $579 any day of the week.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2107 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
No condensation visible in the rear camera...
The LCI visible in the SIM slot hasn't changed color.
I assume when I take it into the store Friday, they will open it up and check the other LCIs?

Yes,the AppleCare+ has paid for itself.