Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Gaming    Penumbra-Overture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penumbra-Overture
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
posted
Has any one tried the Demo for Penumbra-Overture. It does not give system rquirements but I think my PB G4 1.67 is to slow. I couldn't get the wheel in the snow to turn. Any one else have any luck? Otherwise it looks like an interesting Myst 3D adventure.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Chris Doerner-McCary
posted Hide Post
Your powerbook is not too slow. I presume the graphics card in the PB is the Radeon 7500. This demo was asking for min graphics card of Radeon 9600, also not supporting GeForce4 or MMX. These PC developed intense games generally running on Series 9000 graphics cards were written for Direct X 10 or Direct X 9 using an overclocked setup. Mac Pro has the proper graphics card. I don't own one, so I can't tell you how it plays.

The demo played fine on my PC. Not on my mac either.

Hey chris, if you're at the next meeting we should exchange some gaming experiences. One of the only reasons I still own PCs now, is because of the GAMING end. Lots of developers won't make the distinction between Direct X 10 or 9 for PC. Heck, lots of games made for Vista WILL NOT run on XP if the video/graphics card is below 9000 series. I won't go into it here, because this is a mac forum, however, gaming is one of my hobbies on PC/MAC, and it's nice to see some interest here.

If one beholds the sublime in art - one can view Mac as an artform!

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Doerner-McCary:
Your powerbook is not too slow. I presume the graphics card in the PB is the Radeon 7500. This demo was asking for min graphics card of Radeon 9600, also not supporting GeForce4 or MMX. These PC developed intense games generally running on Series 9000 graphics cards were written for Direct X 10 or Direct X 9 using an overclocked setup. Mac Pro has the proper graphics card. I don't own one, so I can't tell you how it plays.

The demo played fine on my PC. Not on my mac either.

Hey chris, if you're at the next meeting we should exchange some gaming experiences. One of the only reasons I still own PCs now, is because of the GAMING end. Lots of developers won't make the distinction between Direct X 10 or 9 for PC. Heck, lots of games made for Vista WILL NOT run on XP if the video/graphics card is below 9000 series. I won't go into it here, because this is a mac forum, however, gaming is one of my hobbies on PC/MAC, and it's nice to see some interest here.
According to the System Profiler I have ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 in the PB G4 with 128 MB vRam. Rom Revision 113-xxxxx-145. You must have good eyes, I thought I looked everywhere for the minimum system requirements. I'm not sure yet if I can make the next meeting but if I can I'll be sure to stop by. Thanks for trying it for me on your Mac. The physics sounds really interesting. I have never owned a PC. So my experience is mostly with older games that will run on G4s.

The few and expensive graphics card options are what gamers and 3D designers complain about the most with Mac hardware. If Apple could find a way to break this last barrier, I think there would be many individuals and businesses that would be giving up there XP/V Boxes. I have read that you can put a PC only graphics card into an Intel/Mac but it will only be useful when booting into bootcamp for XP/Vista.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post