Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Gaming    Wii and Airport Extreme connection problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wii and Airport Extreme connection problem
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted
I'm trying to connect our new Wii via the guest network. Fails with error code 51330. How would I add the MAC address of the Wii to my Airport extreme router, which was suggested. Any Wii users in the group?

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
More information would be helpful.

First off, are you already filtering by MAC address? If not, then putting in the address of the Wii will not help. I'm guessing you aren't, or you'd already know how to add in a MAC address.

Second, are you using any sort of encryption/password on your Airport Extreme? If so, have you made sure you have set up the Wii to match the type (WEP. WPA, etc) and the password?

This page from Nintendo might help.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
I currently do not filter by MAC addresses.

I was using WPA2 security, but I removed it from the guest network for testing.

The wii error code is 51330. I was able to access the guest network from my MacBook.

I read a few articles about code 51330, I tried a few possible solutions. I'll try to add the MAC address in the morning.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Our Wii just sees the wireless from our Airport Extreme without any problems. Just punched in our password and the kids were on. Didn't have a Guest network setup tho'

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2118 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
And I will tell you again - if you are not filtering by MAC address already, *adding it to the Airport Extreme will not do anything* helpful.

"Filtering" means exactly that - you only allow through the filter those addresses on the list. Since you are not doing that now, turning it on and putting in the Wii, without putting in every other MAC address on your network now, will result in *all your devices being locked out*. Filtering is *not your issue* if you currently are not using it.

Try setting your Airport to WPA/WPA2 combined instead of just WPA2. I had issues with the Wii using WPA2.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
I had my extreme set for "N" only. The wii is "G". I don't think there is a way to make only the guest "G". I didn't want the wii to have access to my internal network.

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Do you have the dual band Airport Extreme?
This allows you to set up separate networks (ie: "N" only and "G/B" only). I'm pretty sure you can do what you want but let me look in to it for you.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2118 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post