Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    new file management in tcp 10.1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new file management in tcp 10.1
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I have my fcp projects and events on a 3TB external hard drive and am upgrading to the new final cut 10.1 which manages media differently. Before upgrading, I bought a 4 TB external hard drive and copied all the files from the 3tb to the 4 as a back up in case something went wrong in the upgrade. I was surprised that copying 1.5 TB from the old took up 2.6 TB on the new hard drive. I suspect it has something to with imovie events and final cut events sharing information on the old hard drive and being duplicated on the new drive? Can I delete the imovie events from the new drive if it has all the same movie files?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It it were me, I'd check to see what the difference was first before doing anything. That's huge difference.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I think I know what happened.. (if anyone is interested). I think there is something called "hard links" that occurred when I created the final cut events from the iMovie events. The same kind of hard links are created when you update to the new final cut 10.1 and choose not to delete the old final cut files. Doing this does not take up any more room on the hard drive.. you're old final cut files are instead hard linked to the new ones. (Even the finder window isn't aware of the hard links, but memory numbers don't add up any more). When I copied the disk to the new disk, the hard links weren't recognized, and everything was put on twice. What I needed to do was to delete the iMovie events on the old drive, which would have only deleted the hard links and not freed up any more memory, then copied to the new drive. Does that make sense? (I learned about hard links on a ripple training video for 10.1 http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html)

Hard links will be an issue to be aware of if you update to fcpx 10.1 and don't delete your old fcpx events

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post