Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    home surveillance to my mac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

home surveillance to my mac
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
not sure if this is where to post but
My mom needs 24 hour care now and i'd like to put a 1 camera in her house and look at it from my computer. there is no computer there and I want to hide the camera. What is a cheap way to do this? How does it basically work. Plug in a camera to a wall, it sends a signal to something then I access on the web? I'm clueless and need help.
Thanks Kelly (sadly losing my wonderful Mom)

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Try researching "PTZ cameras" that are "Internet ready."

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
quote:
PTZ cameras

can i get some kind of web cam that i could hook on to to watch some times. like people that have deer cams outside that i can watch.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Do you know that the house will need an internet connection, from Comcast or other provider? Why are you planning on having the camera hidden? Hiding it from your mother or a care giver?

Google this phrase "PTZ cameras for Macintosh" which should provide enough information to get started. Also it will give you an idea of what this will cost.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that we need internet connection. My mom is pretty out of it with alzhimers but I think she could still get mad if she knew, so I guess I didn't want either to know. I don't have to do it I just thought it might be good to have if it wasn't too involved. She has no internet connection at her house.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you just call me? You know I already have a setup like this.

The Software that I use is Security Spy, but I'm sure there are others out there if you just Google it. You will also need a good webcam. I use both an Apple iSight and a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. You can get a Webcam that doesn't need to be hooked to a computer. These are usually referred to as "IP Webcams," but they can get pretty expensive. I think Terry has an old write-up on the ones he uses at his house posted on his blog someplace. They also have some cheap-e "starter" packages at Micro Center is you just want to go check some out that are on the shelf.

In your case, I would say Yes, you do need an internet connection as Video taping will do you little good. You have to think of it this way; what good is it to find out on Saturday that your mom fell and hurt herself the previous Friday afternoon?

If you really don't want to get an internet connection at your Mom's (or just can't), Mike has the DVR and Security Cameras in the basement at work from when we closed down the Dallas office. We really don't need it and if you just told him that you need it for your Mom, I'm willing to bet he'd just give it to you, or at least let you borrow it indefinitely.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poobelly:
not sure if this is where to post but
My mom needs 24 hour care now and i'd like to put a 1 camera in her house and look at it from my computer. there is no computer there and I want to hide the camera. What is a cheap way to do this? How does it basically work. Plug in a camera to a wall, it sends a signal to something then I access on the web? I'm clueless and need help.
Thanks Kelly (sadly losing my wonderful Mom)

I am assuming you have gotten in contact with local chapter

Alzheimer's Association, Greater Michigan Chapter
20300 Civic Center Dr., , Southfield, MI, 48076
(248) 351-0280 or (800) 272-3900

I assume you have a caretaker. With all respect, a web cam will not take the place of having someone present. It will be a help but once a person gets to this point, they need a lot of attention to keep them from harms way. Just some friendly advice.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post