Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Question on importing movies into iMovie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on importing movies into iMovie
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted
I currently have a mini-DV camera and import the film to iMovie using a Firewire cable. I'm thinking of getting a MacBook laptop which has no Firewire port. So what are my alternatives? It seems I can either upgrade my purchase to a MacBook Pro which has a Firewire port or upgrade my camera to one of the tapeless kinds that import using a usb cord. I was hoping not to spend the extra money but can anyone tell me any other alternatives? thanks, Rick

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick,

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Are you going to get rid of the Mac that you are now using? If not you can use it for downloading your video onto an external drive (USB/FireWire combo interface) then use that drive on the new MacBook with the USB connection for editing.

Very little extra spending and no new camera to purchase (at this time).

Posts: 1653 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
What camera are you using? Does it have removable media?

Multimedia card readers are cheap.

Mini-DVDs can be read by an external tray-loading drive which can be relatively inexpensive. (MPEG streamclip is your friend.)

Posts: 1978 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Mini-DV is tape.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Basically you're going to have to upgrade one way or the other as there's no effective way to deal with a Firewire based Camera on a non-firewire based Mac.

Given the choice YOU have to decide which is more important to you. Holding on to your older camera? Or upgrading to a newer tapeless camera that either connects via USB or uses flash memory cards that can connect via card reader.

You can't go wrong with a faster Mac. So a MacBook Pro would mean that you wouldn't have to learn anything new and you'd be able to keep using your existing camera and knowledge in editing the footage from it.

If you upgrade to a different camera you'd have to be careful in choosing one that works well with your choice in editing software. Also since it would likely be an HD camera at this point, you'd also have to consider the time it takes to transcode the footage on a slower MacBook (assuming you'd be using iMovie).

Given those two choices, I'd probably go with the MacBook Pro. Why? Because the speed increase would be across the board and the benefits of Firewire 800 would also mean faster transfers with Firewire 800 hard drives. If you simply upgrade the camera, you'd only be solving a connectivity problem. While the video quality would be potentially better, it would come at the cost of the time increase it would take to produce it.

Go with a MacBook Pro and have benefits across the board.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can use it for downloading your video onto an external drive (USB/FireWire combo interface) then use that drive on the new MacBook with the USB connection for editing.

I currently have an external drive on my desktop used by Time Machine. Could I download my video to that hard drive and then connect it to my laptop? Or would I be better off just buying another external drive? I plan on doing most of my movie editing on the desktop and only occasionally using the laptop for that purpose.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
As a general rule, it is better to keep a backup drive as a backup drive. The upgrade cost for a MacBook Pro and an external drive is probably less that the cost of a new camera.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
If my current camera connects to my iMac with a Firewire 400 and I buy a MacBook Pro- that has a Firewire 800 port. Can I just buy a new Firewire 800 cord to connect the camera and laptop?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Yes. Be certain that each end is the right size. The camera connector is probably 4 pin. If so, I have a spare 4-pin to 9-pin cable.