Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Video Editing -- What Are My Choices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video Editing -- What Are My Choices?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I'm getting blown out of the water by my rivals who use Windows and have a great choice of video editing software. One guy in the UK is getting great results using Avid's Pinnacle Studio ($130), while others are using using Sony Vegas Pro 9 ($600) and Adobe Premiere.

I want to edit HD videos at 1080p. Is Final Cut Express my only choice with a Mac? Are there any other apps to choose from?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Premiere Pro CS4 also edits HD on the Mac. I use it all the time Smile

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Premiere Pro, the best thing since "sliced white bread". No seriously, Premiere Pro is great I sold my Final Cut Studio Suite as soon as Adobe introduced the CS3 Production Bundle and have upgraded to CS4 Production Premium.

It's the only way to go. Ask James Cameron who used it for Avatar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Just curious to know in what ways are you being "blown out of the water?"
Production values, editing techniques, special effects (both cheezy and otherwise)? What do you want/need to do that FC Express won't handle?
I did not see anything in the Adrian Allen video that cannot be done with FCE, or even iMovie, for that matter. Movement on stills, color tinting, superimposition/double exposure, are doable in FCE. Free, shareware or commercial plug-ins are available for doing the oddball "organic" pattern transitions, aged film effects and many others.
Besides bumping up to the Final Cut Studio suite, Avid has software-only products at reasonable prices, for both Mac and PC. As Terry and Brian have mentioned, Premiere Pro is also a good option.
In the end, though, it does come down to the fact that editing is a craft whose results are determined not just by the tools that are used.
It's time, experience and experimentation that will enable you do things to eventually blow your rivals out of the water.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Actually, iMovie 5.02 does everything I want, except that it's extremely difficult to align the images with the music. Add any effect, such as Sharpen, or a transition, and everything is thrown off. I have seen tutorials for Final Cut Express at YouTube where minute adjustments to the picture timeline can be made to correct this.

But the main problem I have is maintaining High Definition. After making a Screen Capture video in QuickTime X, then importing that video into iMovie for editing, everything becomes fuzzy and unreadable after saving the movie at the original 1600 x 1000.

Adrian Allen's music video contains multiple video tracks and layers, which is not possible with iMovie's one video track. The guy I really want to catch is Peter Moore, who uses Sony Vegas, and his notation is still clear and sharp in full screen. My music is superior to his'n, and my videos more imaginative, but he's getting a better look and sound.

Far beyond my capabilities are the videos of Gerhard Richter, a brilliant Austrian. Everyone is raving about them, but no one has any idea of how he does his videos.

I'll likely purchase FCEx despite that some reviews complain of its difficulty of use and steep learning curve. There's no way I'll spend $800 on Premiere Pro CS4.

I need to get a cheaper hobby -- like yachting.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Yachting is definitely not a cheaper hobby. I speak from experience. There is a saying : a boat is a hole into which you pour money. However, it' fun.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith:
Actually, iMovie 5.02 does everything I want, except that it's extremely difficult to align the images with the music. Add any effect, such as Sharpen, or a transition, and everything is thrown off.

Keith have you considered adding your music after the video is done. Music is always done last if it has to be spot on with the screen images.

quote:
But the main problem I have is maintaining High Definition. After making a Screen Capture video in QuickTime X, then importing that video into iMovie for editing, everything becomes fuzzy and unreadable after saving the movie at the original 1600 x 1000.

Screen Captures are 72 DPI (screen resolution) that is why you are losing resolution. Have you considered importing the video directly into iMovie. That would give you the native resolution of the medium the video is coming off of.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
O.k., I'm now at Amazon.com, ready to order Final Cut Express 4. They recommend purchasing a manual with it, but I've been burned by Amazon's recommendations before, so I turn to you for advice.

What instruction manual and/or tutorial do you recommend for someone using FCE for the first time?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Never mind. After reading through the choices, there's really only one book worth considering.