Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Advice needed for video...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed for video...
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted
I've just finished a 10 minute movie created in Photoshop CC.

The rendered file is a .mp4 format.
The quality is clear and crisp.
2.13 GB in size.

I loaded the file into Toast 10 to create a DVD.
Toast formats the DVD to mpeg-2 (I think as they all do)
Created a disk image to see what the quality would
look like before creating the 'hard copy.'
The quality looks like it was sent through a grinder.

Any tips on how I can retain the quality of the original,
or not have it degraded so much? What app would do better?
Premiere Pro?

Not creating menus or such, just want the DVD to play
when loaded into the DVD. But want it to look clear and crisp.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHunter,

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Have you tried converting to DivX? Most DVD/Blu-ray Players will play discs with a DivX file on them.

http://www.divx.com/en

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Chita,

You have discovered why many of us distribute videos using Dropbox or the like instead of using DVDs.

A couple of us have been trying for several years to get better quality video on DVDs. We have not found a "magic" application. The best compromise we have found is using Toast Blu-Ray format on DVD media. We get Blu-Ray quality. The media is cheap, but the program length is limited.

Depending on your target audience, you could just put the mp4 file on a DVD data disk. That should be playable on at least OS X and Windows.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim(s)

1. If you have experience with this software, please share.
Not sure I can see how DivX is helpful.

2. I do know the benefits of NOT using DVDs.
I haven't created a DVD in years. The recipient is
not computer savvy. Hence, the reason for the DVD.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
As James mentioned you could burn Blu-Ray or High Definition DVD with Toast. I found it acceptable, and it may suffice your particular need. The HD format burns MPEG-4 (instead of MPEG-2 for a regular DVD Video). Depending on your version of Toast, the HD/Blu-Ray is available as a Plugin for $19.99.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately, I have Toast v10.
The HD/BR plugin is only for v11.
Between upgrading and the plugin...
I'm not even remotely trying to create
an $80 DVD Smile

There's got to be a way with the software
that I do have.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Based on your comment "The recipient is not computer savvy. Hence, the reason for the DVD" - it seems that one of the main problems is delivering the movie on tangible media (as opposed to digitally transferring it). Have you considered supplying the movie on a mini Flash Drive? Most newer TVs, especially Smart TVs, have USB ports. Some DVD Players also have USB ports. Obviously, it's dependent on what equipment the recipient has for playback. The movie can be converted to the required format and deliver high-quality playback.

Example: awhile back I created an HD slideshow/movie with audio for a client to use as a marketing tool. The movie was loaded on a mini Flash Drive, inserted into the USB port, and set to playback continuously on a large HD TV. We even programmed the TV to turn on/off at a given time, and to automatically playback the movie.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
Considered options A to Z.
Rested on two.

1. DVD
There is an option in Toast to tell it to
NEVER reencode the video when making the DVD.
The quality is then better, but still not what
I'd like it to be.

2. Upload the better copy to my YouTube channel for them
to view online. Send them a link (which may never get used).

Trust me when I say "not computer savvy".

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have too much data for a single-layer DVD. Try creating a dual-layer DVD - set the output to DVD DL instead of just DVD. Then burn to a file. The file will have a .toast extension; change it to .iso, and then open in DVD player and see if the video is acceptable. If so you can then burn to a dual-layer DVD (I am making the assumption you have a dual-layer burner; most made in the past few years are).

2 GB for 10 minutes seems like a lot of data. Is this in HD? DVD player's can't play HD (they do 480P), so you are going to lose something no matter what if that's the case. You should consider making your original in 480P to start with.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post