Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Transfer from 8mm camera to computer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transfer from 8mm camera to computer?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted
About 6 years ago, I transferred 8mm tapes to my computer (and then to DVD) for a friend. I remember only using basic cables and my Sony CCD-TRV318 Hi8 handycam camera. This hi8 camera only has S-video out, a/v out and RFU DC out. I absolutely can not remember what I did or how I did it. I tried doing a few searches and found expensive devices like Dazzle that will allow you to do the job-is there another (cheaper) way? I also have a Mini Dv camcorder-but I don't remember if I connected it to the MIni DV or the VCR-I am so confused! Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You need some kind of hardware to act as an intermediary. Elgato makes a capture device for $99.95 - you may find it somewhat cheaper at another site. If you don't have an older camera that will do the analog to digital conversion, you need something like the Elgato.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Hi Jack thanks for your response. I believe I got it to work the old way-for anyone interested here is what I did:

I connected my hi8 camera with an RCA cable to a (y shaped adapter-as soon as I find out what it is called I will edit this) with only the red plug. Then I connected (that y shaped adapter) to my mini DV camera with a second RCA cable with only the red and white plugs. then I connected both cameras with the S-Video cable. finally I connected the minidv camera to my computer using a Firewire cable.

I don't know if this is the correct way, it does work for me and I didn't have to pay more than a few bucks for that (y shaped adapter) from Radio Shack. I know there are other things out there that will do this easier but it is costly. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, let me know. It saved me about $100 dollars. I hope this helps Smile

Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post