Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Video recording format question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video recording format question
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted
Don't know much about recording movies so this is a very basic question. I have a cheap Canon recorder model #FS200 and was able to record a movie that will play back on the camera but I can't import it into the Mac and do anything with it because I can't open it. iPhoto says it is not a recognized format. Appears to be a Windows file. The recording is on a SD card. See I told you it was a basic question. Maybe there is an application that will convert it to a format I can use on the Mac.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
George,

Have you tried using the "Digital Video Solution Disk" software supplied by Canon?

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Jim- I did get 4 disc of software with the camera. All of which is for the Windows format except a very basic program for viewing, printing and filing still shots using the Mac. I even went to the web site and found out there is an update for this same Mac program. Nothing for movies software for the Mac. Went to the Apple web site and in their store they show a newer version of the camera the FS400 I think. They are mum when it comes to saying it's compatible with the Mac.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
The specs say it is recording in MPEG-2 - which is the same thing used by DVDs. You will need a program that can handle MPEG-2 video, such as MPEG Streamclip (free) to convert to MPEG-4 so you can edit it in iMovie.

Be sure and follow the direction on that page for anything special you have to do during installation depending on which OS you are running.

You may also be able to do basic editing with Toast if you have a recent version of that.

Also, you should be able to use that video directly in iDVD if you don't want to edit it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post