Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Premiere CS4 won't import avchd files
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Premiere CS4 won't import avchd files
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted
I am very new to this. I have a canon HF11. I wanted to try Premiere CS4 to work with the avchd files so I downloaded the trial version. I put the sdhc card in the reader and it showed up in Premiere. When I tried to import or just work with the files, I got the message that the file type was not supported. The files were in the Private folder and I believe they were .mts. I also tried to transfer the files to my desktop and transfer them from there, but I got the same results. I shot some video in easy mode and some in 24 cinematic. I may have incorrect settings within Premiere. What should the settings be before beginning the project?

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The following is from the Adobe web site ..... Link to this information

About transferring files

It is possible to edit assets residing on file-based media, such as P2 cards, XDCAM cartridges, SxS cards, or DVDs. However, Adobe Premiere Pro performs faster if you first transfer the assets to a local hard disk. Using Windows File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac OS), transfer files from file-based acquisition media. Then, import the files on the hard disk into Adobe Premiere Pro projects.

When transferring files to hard disk from file-based media, transfer the folder containing all related files and all of its subfolders. Keep the folder structure intact. For example, when transferring files from AVCHD file-based media, transfer the BDMV folder and all its contents. When transferring files from DVCPRO HD media, transfer the CONTENTS folder and all its contents. When transferring files from XDCAM EX media, transfer the BPAV folder and all its contents. When transferring files from DVD, transfer all the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder, and if it exists, all the contents of the AUDIO_TS folder.
Transfer video files from file-based media into the same folder you specify for captured video with the project scratch disk settings.

The attached file shows the file necessary.

Word DocAVCHD.doc (208 Kb, 274 downloads)

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
The most important thing to remember is to get your files via the Media Browser in Premiere Pro. Don't just import using the File menu.

Also, if you transfer anything to your hard drive, transfer the *entire* "Private" directory. There are files besides the MTS files that have extra data needed by Premiere Pro. If you use the Media Browser to get to your video, the Media Browser will automatically read these extra files and present you with the correct view of the video clips. You can then import the clips from the Media Browser.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Tried both suggestions--Here are the error messages with the files. Any ideas?

error part1

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Here is the second part.

error_2

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
What steps did you take to get there? That message doesn't help without knowing that.

You might try watching this podcast at Terry's site. The first few minutes show you the workflow for using AVCHD.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Also I know you said it was the trial version, but can you verify which version of the app it is. 4.x.x?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Never mind. Here's your problem:

*Adobe Encore CS4 is not available as a trial. It will be installed as part of the trial for Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 but will not be available for use until you purchase. The trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 does not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products. HDV, XDCAM, and AVCHD formats and sequence presets are not supported in the trial for both Mac OS and Windows®. Adobe Media Encoder export does not include MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, or MPEG-2 Blu-ray as export formats in the trial. The file importer does not recognize file types that are not included in trial mode (such as MPEG and XDCAM files). HDV is not included as a capture format in the Mac OS version of the trial.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't imagine why this wasn't working. It is too bad that this feature isn't available in the trial version. This is the workflow I was interested in, but I since I am new to this, I wanted to be sure that I could handle it before making such a purchase. For now, I will continue with IMovie and deal with slow imports.