Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Ogg Video -- What to Do?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ogg Video -- What to Do?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I have a video file in the Ogg Video format that I'd like to open in QuickTime 7 so I can edit it. Unfortunately QT7 won't open it. I can open and view the movie in VLC, MPlayer OSX Extended, and E.M Total Video Convertor, but none will convert the file to anything Quicktime will handle.

I've done searches (including one at Apple), but they result in convertors that cost $30 to $50. Not only am I a parsimonious fellow, but I likely won't use the convertor for more than this one video.

Is there any inexpensive way to convert the video?

BTW, VLC attempts to convert the video to MP4, but when I try to open the resulting file in Quicktime, I get the following bizarre error message.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Try installing the free Ogg Theora framework for QuickTime. I downloaded the full version (the 1 MB DMG) and was able to download an Ogg video (and watch one on the web) in QuickTime. I was also able to convert it to an MP4 video.

VLC is a good player but I have found it to be terrible at converting video.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Audacity? http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3776 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I took Jack's advice, and wow! Amazing! Just dropping that one icon into a folder solved everything.

Thanx, Jack!

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post