Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    camcorders for non professionals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

camcorders for non professionals
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
My last camcorder recorded to minidv tape.

I find that I mostly shoot video on my iPhone, the quality seems nice, but its very limited (no zoom, not good in low light)

What is the current state of the art for amateur videographers these days? I'm using a fast new iMac (fusion drive and lots of ram) and fcpx. Any suggestions in what to look for in a camcorder that will be a step up from my iPhone?

thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Dale:

What is you approximate budget?

Canon (the best consumer camcorder in my opinion) starts at $280.00 (the FS400) and goes up to $1300.00 (the VIXIA HF G10). Do you want a camera that uses the display on the back as your view finder or do you want an optical view finder that works more like a DSLR.

Or possibly you want a new DSLR that shoots video and combine both functions in the same piece of hardware. Check to see if the DSLR you choose uses the viewfinder or the screen on the back as the video viewfinder. Also check out if it has continuous auto focus for the video recording function, many do not.

When I bought my new Canon camcorder (the VIXIA HFM41) I wanted and bought the model with the integral color viewfinder. I did not want to use the screen on the back.

When I purchased mine I was replacing my Canon Optura MiniDV tape camcorder which had an optical viewfinder.

Just some thoughts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Here are links for 2 cameras at Canon, these are referbs. Check the warranty.

**Refurbished Canon VIXIA HF M301 Full HD Camcorder for $120 + free shipping**

Canon offers the factory-refurbished Canon VIXIA HF M301 Full HD
Camcorder, model no. 6096B001, for $119.99. Coupon code "VAL213" bags
free shipping.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/weba..._-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

**Refurb Canon VIXIA HF M30 Flash Digital Camcorder for $144 + free shipping**

Canon offers its factory-refurbished Canon VIXIA HF M30 Flash Memory
HD Camcorder, model no. 4361B002, for $143.99. Coupon code "VAL213"
yields free shipping.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/weba..._-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
thanks! Ill check into those

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post