Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    iMovie '11 w/ Sony DCR-SX65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iMovie '11 w/ Sony DCR-SX65
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
Has anyone using iMovie '11 (9.0.2) done so with a Sony DCR-SX65? This is a standard definition camera, MPEG-2, internal and SD card storage, USB2.
A client who owns this model has a simple project for which iMovie would probably be the quickest, best tool. Just want to check for possible gotchas regarding importing and editing material from it.
Client does have option of getting hold of a different camcorder if this won't do the job but would need to know ASAP.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

I found this on the Apple web site ........ I refers to the family of cameras that yours falls into.

iMovie: Sony HDR camera series compatibility

* Last Modified: October 20, 2010
* Article: HT1793

* Old Article: 305919

Email this article
Print this page
Summary

iMovie ’08, '09, and '11 and Sony HDR-CX11, HDRCX12, HDR-SR1 and HDR-SR7 cameras should work with AVCHD (high-definition) and MPEG-2 standard definition (SD) content when you follow these guidelines.

Products Affected

iMovie '08 (7.x), iMovie '11, iMovie '09

If the Sony HDR-CX11, HDRCX12, HDR-SR1, HDR-SR7 and HDR-SR12 cameras contain both HD (AVCHD) and SD (MPEG-2) content, iMovie ’08, '09, and '11 can import the SD (MPEG-2) content. However, to import the HD (AVCHD) content to an Intel-based Mac, you must first erase the SD (MPEG-2) content on the camera.

Additional Information
Sony HDR Content Power Mac G51 Intel-based Mac
HD mode - (AVCHD Only) No Yes
SD mode - (MPEG-2 Only) Yes Yes

Refer to iLife ’08 system requirements for the complete Power Mac G5 system requirements.

Important: Mention of third-party websites and products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance or use of information or products found at third-party websites. Apple provides this only as a convenience to our users. Apple has not tested the information found on these sites and makes no representations regarding its accuracy or reliability. There are risks inherent in the use of any information or products found on the Internet, and Apple assumes no responsibility in this regard. Please understand that a third-party site is independent from Apple and that Apple has no control over the content on that website. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I did see that item on the support site.
The DCR-SX65 is SD only, MPEG-2, so I think it should import OK. Last option is to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files to DV and use FCP 5 on the old wheezing G4 or take the time to install FCP on the Intel iMac. I'll just have to bump my wife off her computer for a while!

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Reti:
...option is to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the files to DV and use FCP 5 on the old wheezing G4

I ended up doing just that- import the Sony m2v files on the intel iMac, MPEG Streamclip to convert the clips to DVCPro, send those to the G4, edit with FCP and burn with DVD Studio Pro. Client happy, check's in the mail.