Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Why use SD card rather than internal memory on video camera?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why use SD card rather than internal memory on video camera?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted
A friend of mine bought a Samsung SMX-F34SN video camera which comes with 16 GB internal memory which stores 8 hours of video. The camera also accepts SD cards. I can't figure out what the SD card is for? Why would you store something on the card rather than the internal memory? thanks for the help. rick

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Because in most cases transfers from the camera would happen in real time. Copying from the SD card via a card reader would be "Much" faster.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
The main reason for recording or shooting to a card as opposed to the internal memory of a camera is so that you can quickly download the video/shots without tying up the camera. Also if you're downloading from the camera, the camera has to be on and therefore using battery if not plugged in.
Card readers tend to be faster than downloading over USB connected cameras.

I shoot in HD via a Canon VIXIA HF10 and although it has 16GB of internal memory, I NEVER shoot to the internal memory. When I get back to my computer, I can pop the card in my card reader and IMMEDIATELY start editing the footage in Premiere Pro even right off the card if I choose to.

Using the internal memory is an extra step that I just don't need.

Lastly, by shooting to cards you never have to worry about running out of room during your shoot as long as you have multiple cards. Once the internal memory is full, you have no choice but to stop and download or delete.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
A friend of mine bought a Samsung SMX-F34SN video camera which comes with 16 GB internal memory which stores 8 hours of video. The camera also accepts SD cards. I can't figure out what the SD card is for? Why would you store something on the card rather than the internal memory? thanks for the help. rick

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
With the Canon camera its a royal pain to go direct, because it must be *plugged in* - it will now allow you to just use the battery. It's just way easier for me to pop the card into a card reader and plug that into a USB port than crawl around on the floor for a plug for the camera.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post