Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    A device for transfering old analog 8mm.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A device for transfering old analog 8mm.
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhea
posted
I have too many old 8mm analog videos to go thru, digitize and edit, to have it done professionally.
My 8mm Sony Handycam will not play the tapes. Is there a consumer device that will play the tapes and usb or firewire to my mac? Am I wishing for the impossible?

Posts: 174 | Location: Oak Park MI USA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Rhea:

What were the tapes created on? Specifically. Do you no longer own the camera they were created on? Will your Sony Handycam output successfully to your Mac so that you end up with an editable file? Via USB or Firewire.

If you would like to talk this over, call me. I will be available on Friday after 9:00AM to about 1:30PM or almost anytime over the weekend.

Brian

248-546-9339

Posts: 1653 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhea
posted Hide Post
No I don't have the camera anymore. My present Sony will not play them, although it will record, play and export Hi8 tapes to iMovie via firewire.
I will call you friday a little after noontime.

Thank You

Posts: 174 | Location: Oak Park MI USA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Yes, but it's not cheap.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhea
posted Hide Post
I was afraid of that. Maybe I can locate an old 8mm analog video camera.

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Rhea,
I may have one somewhere... If I find it you are welcome to borrow it.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2114 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhea
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.
I guess I didn't phrase the question very well.
Maybe it's because I've had an assortment of analogue 8 videos as well as hi 8 and digital 8.
My digital handicam could not read the analogue or hi 8's, so I couldn't import them into iMovie. I took them all to Troy video and they burned them to a disc. Then I used handbrake to make m4vs and then edited in iMovie. Troy video was very reasonable and fast.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
What did it cost you per tape? Does it depend upon the length? I need to do this also.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post