Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    All Dressed-Up and No Place to Go
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Dressed-Up and No Place to Go
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I finished another of my music videos, but what to do with it? My music (and the attendant slide show) is 11:24 long, and the movie file is over 1 gig, so YouTube has officially rejected it. My account at Vimeo, with space taken by previous efforts, allows me only 500 meg.

I have one movie at Blip.tv, but apparently they dumped inactive accounts (or now accept only professionally-produced sitcoms), because my password no longer works there, they won't E-mail (4 attempts) me a new password, and after setting-up a new account name, three attempts at uploading the new movie ground to a halt after eight (8!) hours each.

A friend suggested Google Video, but they no longer accept uploads. Can anyone suggest any other site which accepts amateur video productions? Large ones?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Why not remove "some previous efforts" to make room for your latest and greatest effort?

Posts: 1655 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I would also ask why it is to large? I get the 11:24 minute thing and that youtube limits you to 10 minutes, but why is it over 1GB? Seems large for an 11 minute movie?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
For one thing, I naturally want the sound quality to be perfect, and the sound file by itself is 14.2 MB.

Most of the video sites have guidelines for setting the compression of your video, and one of the settings they suggest is 30 fps., which I use, but that alone makes for a massive file.

Interestingly, in David Pogue's iMovie Manual, he says that 30 fps is foolish, but that's what YouTube and Vimeo specify.

For my own use, I choose a key frame every frame, but that results in a file of absurd size. I got it down to 1.2 meg by using the Automatic key-frame setting with not much loss in picture quality.

Last night, I cut-off the movie's closing credits, and submitted it to YouTube again, but that made only a scant difference in the file's size, so they rejected it again.

I'm now trying Blip.tv again, and I should know if it goes through within 8-10 hours.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Have you tried putting it on your facebook account (if you have a facebook account)?
Here's one I couldn't get on youtube

http://www.facebook.com/v/1109700829770

Not sure if there are different setting, it seems to default to "fit screen"!

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Terry, as always, is right. My original file is way too large.

I checked the Expert Settings in iMovie and found that it was set to Save As QuickTime Movie. I switched to MP4 and the file is is now a tenth the size with no loss in quality.

Problem solved. This stuff's actually simple, but I keep forgetting the details.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Now that the problem is solved why not put a link here so we can see what you do?

Posts: 1655 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post