Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    vhs from grade school is dark and sound is awful-
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vhs from grade school is dark and sound is awful-
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted
I have an old vhs tape (about 45 min. long) where the picture quality is a little dark and the sound quality is not that great of my school play from 25 years ago (wow I am starting to feel old). I wanted to show this at our class reunion. What is the best program to use to clean it up, or is it a lost cause? I have imovie 09 and Adobe Premiere. Will either of these work? Any suggestions?

Natalie

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
If I were the one doing it I would without a doubt use Premiere. What version do you have?

I do not have a recommendation regarding the sound but Premiere will give you the opportunity to lighten the video portion. If the sound is poor you may be stuck with it. Terry might have an idea.

Do you have a means to get it into your Mac? If not I would be able to do it. Your delivery and pickup. I could put it on an external drive, fireWire is the best choice. Then you could do what is needed in Premiere.

Brian
248-546-9339

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian,
I have CS3 Premiere, I haven't really used it yet, but I will try to figure it out before the event. I have my mini DV camera that I can use as a pass-thru to bring into the computer-so thank you for the very kind offer Smile hopefully I can get this to work. The sound is the other issue, I wonder if I would have to pull it out and bring it into Soundbooth-or some audio program, but then I am not sure how to sync it up again.

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
As long as you do not trim the sound there should no be a sync problem.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the principle of the computer will be at work.

Garbage in --- Garbage out.

You will be able to enhance the sound but it will only get so good before the enhancements create a problem.

First try just bringing up the level of the volume to see if that is good enough. If not then start with filters and enhancements.

The other way I got around a really bad sound problem was to subtitle the movie. The crowd actually found it helpful and enjoyed it despite.

After all, the video was taken "Long ago and Far away......" Smile

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your responses!
Calvin it didn't even occur to me to subtitle it-(I can't imagine how long this would end up taking me). I think it is a really neat idea though!

Natalie

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Do you have just Premiere Pro CS3 or the Production Premiere CS3. If it's the later, then you also have Soundbooth CS3 which could help cleanup the sound. Soundbooth is geared to be an easy program to use to fix most common sound problems without requiring the user to become a sound engineer Smile

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
iMovie does have onboard "color correction" tools, which include exposure, contrast and brightness tweaks. iMovie Help and other online tutorials available to guide that process.
You didn't describe what kind of sound quality issues you have. Low audio levels can be adjusted up, at the cost of added noise. Recorded-in distortion and room echo are pretty much beyond correction other than some EQ to mask but not eliminate those problems. As Terry mentioned, Adobe's Soundbooth does have some powerful tools that might help.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Terry and Chuck, I do have Soundbooth, and I have found it fairly easy to use-however I am not sure how sound can be fixed on this tape. Back then, our school didn't really have a great sound system (not that schools now do) but really the problem is hearing the characters in the play without the noise of the audience. If I bring up the sound altogether, won't the audience noise also get louder or is there a way to separate them?