Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    legacy final cut pro projects
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

legacy final cut pro projects
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I will be getting final cut pro x when I get my new imac next month. I would like to convert my legacy projects so they will be editable in final cut pro x, but I think Im a bit too much of a legacy? There is a $10 program available to convert FCP7 projects to FinalCutProX, but my old projects were made in FCP5. Would I have to buy FCP7 to be able to update these projects? FCPX is $300 and FCP7 (outdated software) is available on amazon as part of final cut studio for $1700.

Are projects older than FCP7 a lost cause to resurrect in FCPX?

Thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Dale:

Is FCP 5 still functional on your current Mac? Can you still load those projects? If so then you should be able to export a plain .mov file which would then imported into the new version of FCP X.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Yes its still on my mac, but I was hoping to be able to save all the edits and not just the final exported quicktime file.

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Dale:

Here is the fine print for the conversion program and it looks like you are out-of-luck. You should still check with the maker of 7toX.

It specifically states version FCP6 and FCP7. See the following.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
thanks for your advice. I emailed the maker of 7 to x and got this response (amazingly fast response time too).

"I would strongly recommend finding someone who can update your project files to at least version 6. We tested with version 6 XML and are comfortable to recommend that, but we have done no testing with FCP 5 XML and cannot make any guarantees. It might work fine, depending on the project and what was supported in that version of the XML, or it could work poorly.

If you can find someone with FCP 6 or 7, make sure your media is all mounted and online on that system before you export the XML. That will make the translation and subsequent opening into FCP X much more smooth.

Philip"

Now I just have to find someone with a version of FCP 6 or 7 to export an xml file for me! If I cant find it, I think I'll take a chance and see if it works from fcp5

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Dale:

Here is a link to FCP6 on ebay that ends in 5 hours. Good price under $50.00. Also suggest you check Craigs List.