Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    iDisappointment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iDisappointment
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
One of the best features of QuickTime X is the Screen Recording feature. You can, of course, use it to create a tutorial video to show someone how a certain procedure is performed -- that's what the feature was designed for-- but it dawned on me that you could also use this screen-capture video to make a music video and post it at YouTube.

For instance, you could use it to capture the iTunes Visualizer display while your favorite song is playing. That wouldn't be a great music video, but it would certainly be far more interesting than the huge number of videos already at YouTube that feature a pop song and nothing but a still photo of the artist.

What I want to do, though, is make a video of music playing in Sibelius notation software, so that you could watch the notes go by as the music plays. That's entertaining even for those who don't read music -- more entertaining, at least, than watching a single photograph throughout the song.

This proved remarkably easy to do with the Screen Recording feature of QuickTime. I had a strikingly clear video of the notes scrolling by as the tune played, and the 2 1/2 minute video weighed-in at only 29 MB. Unfortunately, it was a silent movie. As far as I can tell, you can add a microphone input to the sound track as the movie is being made, but not what your Mac is playing at the time.

Well, that's a shame, and it would be nice if they added such a soundtrack feature in QT XI, but for now, I dropped the 29 MB Screen Recording file into iMovie 5.0.2 and added an AAC file of the tune in the soundtrack. I don't make many movies, so the Expert Settings of compression were still left at whatever they were in whatever previous project I'd made. Unfortunately, despite that the added soundtrack was a mere additional 3.2 MB, the resulting movie was huge -- more than four times the size of the original, despite the smaller 640 x 480 resolution. What's worse, the picture was so blurry, that you couldn't read the notes nor see the playback line as it progressed across the pages.

So I kept jacking up the expert settings until I was using no compression, every frame a key frame, and a frame rate of 5000 KB/sec., which is what Vimeo.com recommends for high-definition videos submitted to them. Unfortunately, as I increased these settings, each resulting video grew exponentially in size, and the improvement in picture quality was negligible. When I got up to a video weighing a whopping 40 GB, I quit. (For an account of how I couldn't get rid of these files and how they ate up 100 GB of drive space, see the Troubleshooting Software thread.)

What then, is the solution to my problem? As I said, the original QuickTime Screen Capture movie was just fine at 29 MB. How can a soundtrack be added? Are there any secret iMovie settings that you may know about? Is there another application, hopefully inexpensive, that I could use to add a soundtrack?

This is bothering me, because a friend/rival on line has produced much better music videos than mine using Windows Movie Maker, and I think he's going to attempt something along the lines of what I had envisioned.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Do you have Quicktime Pro 7?
Maybe you could:
1. Record the audio track in QTP7.
2. Open your Quicktime X movie with
QTP7.
3. Add the audio track:
Edit > Add to Selection and Scale.

I like the Screen recording option of QT X, but right now
QT X doesn't have all the features we loved in QTP7.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a great suggestion, Chita! I had no idea that could be done! That's why the MUG membership pays for itself!

Unfortunately, although I now have a movie with a good picture and sound, the sound of the AAC recording I added has become horribly distorted and is not in sync with the video.

Being unfamiliar with this feature, I simply dragged and dropped the AAC file onto the QT7 player window of the movie. How to adjust it?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
1. Audio File: Edit > Copy
2. Video File: Edit > Add to Selection and Scale
to paste the audio file into the video file to
cover the timeline of the entire video.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx again, Chita. I found that the best way to copy the sound file is to open it in another QT7 window, copy that, then paste it into the selected passage of the movie. Getting it in the exact right spot is a sort of trial and error process despite the In and Out handles.

Alas, the sound of the AAC file is still horribly distorted.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Got it! The trick is to use Add to Selection, but not Scale.

Now to add title cards.

Sincere admiration for Chita.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Once I perfected my video with opening and closing title cards, I uploaded it to YouTube.

It's a QuickTime Movie that plays just fine in QuickTime X or QuickTime 7, but when it became available at YouTube, the video was silent, and I immediately removed it.

I then tried playing the QuickTime Movie in VLC, and it was also silent. VLC displayed the error message "NO SUITABLE DECODER MODULE: VLC does not support the audio format 'twos'. Unfortunately, there is no way for you to fix this."

So how do I fix this?

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Keith,

Try "File/Export...", instead of saving it as a self contained .mov.

• Go to File/Export..., the first window/dialog will allow you to name the movie and the location to save it
• Next click the "Options..." button
• In the next window/dialog "Movie Settings", make sure that you have the "Sound" or "Audio" box checked.
• While in the "Movie Settings" you can also click the "Settings" button and others for Video and Sound to compress them to your needs, change the size, etc.
• You may also what to make sure that the "Prepare for Internet Streaming" box is checked

BTW. Don't go to File/Export for Web..., as doing so won't give you access to the individual Options.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
From YouTube Community Help Forums:
Uploading QT Movie to YouTube

And, Thank you
Sincere admiration is appreciated. :-)

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx again, Chita! Very gracious of you. Alas, using QuickTime Pro to convert the raw movie to MPEG4 (MP4) resulted in another blurry video and the sound (which had, through painful trial-and-error, been perfectly synchronized with the video) was waaaaaay off. The size of the file increased by a factor of ten.

I am, as I type this, now using QT7 again, this time to convert "Movie to QuickTime Movie." But just as with iMovie, the size will apparently be gargantuan. I also have the Activity Monitor open, and I can see the pie graph representing "Disk Usage" (I am dismayed when people commonly employ "usage" or "utilize" in place of the simple, happy and correct word, "use") sweeping around like the minute hand on a clock. According to the Space Free reading, I have already lost 20 GB of disk space, and the movie is only half converted.

Despite that I already know that the resulting movie file will be too big to do anything with, I must allow it to complete, because I don't want to risk having some incomplete temporary file lurking on my hard drive as it did last weekend.

I think that what I need to do is to convert the original movie, produced in QuickTime with no compression, but which weighs a mere 56.4 MB, to Divx. Two years ago I paid $30 for the DivX convertor & player package, but the convertor no longer works. I tried downloading the latest package on a trial basis, but that doesn't work either. I can open the convertor window/icon, but no file can be dragged to it. For some reason, I can't sign in at the Divx Support page, despite that I know perfectly well what my password is.

I also got caught in the rain on my return from the bakery. It looks like the seedlings I planted a week ago are dying. The squirrel that comes to my doorstep to be fed didn't show today. I have a hangnail.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
While waiting for the titanic movie file to render in QuickTime Pro, I of course occupied my attention elsewhere (a watched pot never boils) and began my Arabic homework. While spelling "jaghräfeyah" (geography) using Arabic letters, the movie finished converting.

Unfortunately (and I am notmaking this up!) the new movie file on my desktop instantly changed into a .rtf file named "auto save.rtf كِتاب." It's only 25 KB in size, so now I must go through my hard drive and find a 40 to 60 GB file the name of which I don't know.

Next, I expect that the faucets will begin running blood.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I'm nothing if not determined. My music video is now posted at YouTube. I took the raw movie file I had made in QuickTime 7, then imported that into QuickTime X, then used Save As . . to export that as a HD movie.

I'm deliberately not providing a link to my masterpiece, because it's not that great. YouTube's Flash compression degraded the picture and sound somewhat, but it wasn't that great to begin with.

Still, I couldn't've done it without Chita's kind assistance.

I can happily report that I was also able to delete all the bloated versions of the movie. It took two hours to Secure Empty the Trash.

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith:

I'm deliberately not providing a link to my masterpiece, because it's not that great. YouTube's Flash compression degraded the picture and sound somewhat, but it wasn't that great to begin with.

Keith,

This is an open forum and not a court. I would love to see your final product just to be able to see what I can accomplish if I did the same.

Of course if you still don't want to share the link, I understand Smile

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Rather than the simple video of the sheet music at YouTube, with their severe Flash® compression, why not watch a a better music video of mine? Even the march is better.

Disregard the video's jingoistic sentiments. I'm trying to sell band music, and band directors generally hold such attitudes.