Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Final Cut Exp. - Unknown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Final Cut Exp. - Unknown
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
After going through the Izzy Video tutorial (which is free, and I found it to be much better/easier than the $30 Apple Pro Training Series book I bought), I felt that I was ready to attempt a project in Final Cut Express. Unfortunately, the very first thing I tried to do in FCE came to a screeching halt at the very first step.

I had made a screen-capture video using QuickTime X, and I tried to drag that .mov file into the FCE Browser. On doing so, I got an error message which read, File Error: Unknown File. Trying to import the video by using the Import command under the File menu resulted in a similar error message: File Error: 1 File(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown.

Apparently Apple's Final Cut Express doesn't recognize the file saved from Apple's QuickTime X, so in addition to the movie file ("that contains media in the same format as the original movie"), I tried saving the video in HD1080p, and when that didn't work, I saved it as the choice designated for computers, .m4v. Final Cut will accept none of these.

On the Final Cut end, I tried adjusting the Easy Setup settings to Formats: all formats/HD and in the Use: menu I tried all Apple Intermediate Codecs. I didn't try the others because (a.) I don't own a camera, and (b.) I have no idea of what "Anamorphic Basic" means. Although I don't know what frame rate QT X uses, I tried 29.97 and (all rates).

Thus having exhausted all possibilities that I can think of, I turn to the MUG. How do I get my QuickTime video into Final Cut Express for editing?

My next step will be to add audio, and I have already read at the Apple.com support pages that Final Cut will not accept AAC files. But that I can handle.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
What is the size of the QT .mov file?

Is it some sort of protected content?

Can you still play the .mov in QT X?

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Thanx for your reply, Brian, but I solved the problem by using QuickTime 7 to convert the file made using the screen-capture feature in QuickTime X to a QuickTime Movie that Final Cut Exp. would accept. The original 1080p movie weighed 46.6 MB, and the QuickTime conversion ballooned up to 62.8 MB.

Because I had tried saving the original movie in every qoptional form in QuickTime X, it is true that Final Cut Exp. will accept no file made with QuickTime X.

Unfortunately, the converted movie not only lost picture-quality and definition, it mysteriously gained about 10 seconds in length so that it is no longer synchronized with the AIFF file of the music. This is despite the fact that I was careful to save the .mov file at a frame rate of 29.97 that FCE seems to prefer.

To correct this discrepancy in the video track's length, I tried dragging the end to the left, but this only lops off footage from the end. The roll tool, the slide tool, and the ripple tool don't seem to work.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
A somewhat similar question- I have a couple .mov files that were sent to me that were made with the iPhone. The only way I can view them is in Mail. What's the trick to opening them or even editing them? I also have a Quicktime .mov that I can do very little with.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
What happens if you save them to disk? Do you get an error?

If you can save them to disk, what happens when you open them with QuickTime?

What OS are you using?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Mr. B., I did save it to disk and it's in my Movie folder along with another .mov file. I am running 10.6.3 on a MBA. The only difference between the two .mov files is the one I made with QT X plays fine and the other file came to me via email sent from his iPhone. The one I can't open, launches TextEdit and I get all the gobbly-gook instead of the movie. One more thing I noticed and I don't think it makes any difference is the suffix of one of the files is lowercase and the other one is uppercase.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Oops- Found the mistake. Turns out the extension did not have a "." between it and the file name. Inserted the "." and now all is well. Now I'm going to have and find out who removed the "." and ring his/her neck. All is well in the "Little" household.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Because it's so awful to use, I haven't used my copy of Final Cut Express since posting the above question, but I need to use it now, and I can't recall how I finally got my Screen-Capture video, made in QuickTime X, into FCE.

None of the options in QT X under Save As . . . work, so I've been converting the video using QuickTime 7.6. Because Final Cut doesn't like compression, I've tried saving my Screen Capture video as a QuickTime movie with no compression, but that has resulted in files over 70 GB in size, and these huge files only skip and stutter when played.

From a search on the Internet, I see that someone is selling a $35 Final Cut Convertor, to convert any video into a form acceptable by Final Cut, but its system requirements only go up to O/S 10.5.

I've been at this for hours, and I need some advice here.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
O.k., here's the solution. You can sometimes find good answers at the Apple Support Discussion Boards, but you must ask the right question.

To import any movie made in QuickTime X into Final cut, you must first obtain a piece of freeware from Italy called MPEG streamclip. It converts quickly and easily with no loss of quality.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
MPEG Streamclip is one my standard tools. It is also useful for cleaning up time code discontinuities on video from mini-DVD cameras. Good for input to iMovie as well as Final Cut.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
O.k., what's the best format to convert your movie to for importation into FCE? The Final Cut manual says QuickTime Movie, but that option does not appear in the MPEG streamclip Exporter menu.

I tried converting to Apple Intermediate Codec (which is what FC uses), but once that was in Final Cut, the sound was definitely NOT synchronized to the picture.