Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Movie formats question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie formats question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
MG friends,
I'm starting a project with a music student involving videos of playing and analysis. Will be using my Kodak Zi8.

We'll probably be sending videos to each other over the web. As a sample, I experimented with a 40 second movie from the Kodak in Quicktime Player. The original is 60.3 MB. I saved in different formats & got it down to 9.8 MB in HD 480p resolution, which is OK for our purposes.

Also tried an iPhone.m4v file, which is 4.9 MB. It opened in iTunes, and looked OK.

HOWEVER, individual pieces of music will vary from 2 minutes length (shortest) to 3 or 4 minutes on average. - Large files even at 480p.

QUESTION: Are there other formats or methods to get file size down? These will NOT be youtube quality content videos - just for some personal assessment, teacher & student use.

FYI: I won't be teaching via video or Skype. I've taught this adult student in my studio for about 10 yrs. We're participating in a special development program.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, the plan has changed somewhat. I'll probably video at the student's lesson then we'll critique right away without any transferring over the internet. - Still would be interesting to have a short answer (if possible!) on the file formats for video.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary,

If the videos are intended to be "viewed" by others and not edited by others, I use YouTube. YouTube has options to make the video private or "unlisted" (which is the option I use most). An Unlisted video has a regular URL and anyone with that URL can watch the video, but it doesn't come up in searches or get added to your channel.

If you still want to actually transfer the video, then you'll need a service that specializes in large files. Both Dropbox.com and Yousendit.com come to mind. Each week I do an HD version of my Creative Suite Podcast and I share that HD video clip to the Adobe TV team via Dropbox. I zip the file, put it in a Public folder on my Dropbox.com acct. Grab the Link to it and email the link. They download it and then post it to tv.adobe.com. Those files average anywhere from 100mb to 500mb zipped.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
QUESTION: Are there other formats or methods to get file size down? These will NOT be youtube quality content videos - just for some personal assessment, teacher & student use.

Terry's recommendation of Dropbox (in particular) and YouSendIt are great solutions to transfer and share large files. So, if the intent is to retain very good quality and a fairly large physical size of the videos and share them, I highly recommend Dropbox.

If it's still your intent to create small file sizes, I'd recommend two pieces of software - QuickTime Pro and MPEG Streamclip. Both will allow you to Export the videos to various formats, allow you to resize (reduce) the physical dimensions of the video, and select from a multitude of compression schemes to create smaller versions of the video. It takes some trial and error to balance the quality versus the file size. But, with some time and patience you could greatly reduce the file sizes.

QuickTime Pro requires using QuickTime 7 (not the QuickTime Player installed with your latest OS). I'm not sure if QuickTime 7 can run on Mountain Lion - but, I'm running it on Lion. You'll note that there is a cost for QuickTime Pro, but the QuickTime 7 download is Free.

MPEG Streamclip is a free download. It's similar to QuickTime Pro, though they both have slightly different options when Exporting video.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I see that the version of Quicktime installed on my computer, running 10.8, is Quick Time Player 10.2. The version to which you link is titled Quick Time Player 7. Is that the only version that can be upgraded to Pro? I would assume that version 10 is more current than 7. Version 10 seems to have recoding capabilities as well as several export capabilities. Do you know how QT 10 would compare to QT 7 Pro?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Donna,

To my knowledge, and from what I read about 6 months ago, QuickTime Pro won't work with any version newer than QuickTime 7. I can't remember the reasoning behind it. At the time, I attempted to use QT Pro with a newer version of QuickTime Player but was unable to. That's when I came across the info that QT Pro could only be workable with QuickTime 7 - and not the newer versions. Purchasing QuickTime Pro essentially adds the extra functionality for various features and Exports, by entering a registration code in QuickTime 7. You can't enter the Pro Registration Code into newer versions of QuickTime Player.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Look for QuickTime 7 in Applications/Utilities

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I have QT 7. I have a password for QT 7 Pro (I had forgotten I had one.) When I open QT7 on my new MacBook Pro, it won't accept the PW. Any ideas?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Password? Do you mean a registration code? What does it say when you try? Make sure there are no trailing spaces if you are copy/pasting.

The registration name needs to be exactly as it was when the key was purchased - from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2240:

Type your name and QuickTime 7 Pro registration key into the fields exactly as they appear in the email sent to you by the Apple Online Store. Registration keys consist of five groups of four characters separated by dashes. Use zeros (0), and not uppercase Os. Once you have entered all of the information, press the Tab key. The QuickTime logo will change to the QuickTime Pro logo, denoting that registration is complete.

===

If you aren't sure exactly how you ordered the key, use the page I listed and look near the end for a link to retrieve your key from Apple.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm copying and pasting. Do you think typing would be better? However, I have not been using the tab key. I've been hitting Return. I just tried typing in and then hitting Tab. It says "Invalid Registration." However, that's the code I have in my spreadsheet that says Quicktime 7 Pro.It's from a 2006 email.It used to work, but I haven't used it in years.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Is your name spelled the same as on the original email? You might try retrieving a new key from Apple; the link for how to get it was on the page I referenced.

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I think QuickTime X is sufficient for my needs,so Iam giving up on 7.
"What is QuickTime X...

QuickTime X comes with Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and later. It includes a redesigned QuickTime Player application that delivers many of the features of QuickTime 7 Pro.  For example, you can make audio and video recordings, trim clips, and convert media to H.264 for your iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV. QuickTime X does not use registration keys to enable additional functionality."

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Donna, though QuickTime X does have more functionality than previous versions, it doesn't have the full capabilities of Pro. Though QuickTime X may be all you need, it may not achieve what Mary Jo initially inquired about.

If you ever change your mind and decide to revive Pro, you may check into a few things. First of all, are you sure that your Registration code is for Pro 7 and not Pro 6? Per the bottom of the link Jack provided, the Pro 6 code will not work for QuickTime Pro 7. I'm only mentioning this because you said that you purchased it in 2006. If you want to verify the name and registration code, and you have an old backup of QuickTime 7 with the Pro registration on an external hard drive, you may be able to access the info - per the instructions in this link.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well this is interesting. When I experimented with exporting to several formats, as in my initial post, I was using QT Player v10.0(131). I also have QT 7 Pro (just checked- still has my registration no.)

I opened "About QT Player" - v.10. A few seconds after the initial info window, it started swinging through a series of logos & links to various companies: Qualcomm Roland, Macromedia Flash Player, Fraunhofer, Voice Age, Sorenson media, Dolby, Qdesign. Are these just ads, or what's the purpose? They're obviously related to aspects of movie making. (?? - just curious)

Terry, Mike, Jack, Donna, Thanks for the advice. At some point I thought of Dropbox. However, didn't know Youtube has a private access setup.
- Have used YouSendit before, and it came to mind, but wanted to learn something from the MG experts.

I videoed (is that a word?) my student this past week, and the studio setup was actually easy. The Kodak has a built-in USB connector, so used the MacBookPro laptop, opened the videos directly from the camera without copying over, and we did the analysis. GREAT! - Still learning something.

My profound gratitude to all.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. I
ll have to check that out. I know the code is correct and I wouldn't have entered it into my spreadsheet however many years ago as QT 7 Pro if it were not. I'll have to think about how I might have entered the name, though. Do you have to have the company name exact also?

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I have QT 7 Pro happily running on my old PB G4, now running 10.5.8. It says it is QT 7 Pro (QuickTime Player verion 7.7 (1680.25) and the "Registered To and Registration Code are the same ones I am typing into the version I have on Mountain Lion. However, when I first typed in the info I typed in the wrong "registered to" name. the version I was trying was QY 7.6.6. I am now downloading 7.7. Maybe I had the wrong version. Interesting. It won't let me install QT 7.7 because QT X is already installed. So I guess I can't have both on the new MBP. However, I can still use the older version on my previous Powerbook. I've attached the message.

QT can't be installed on my MBP

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,
I believe that Dropbox has some options that will make it easier for you to share the videos with your students. One is creating a "Shared Folder", that they would automatically have access to anything the folder contains. Whenever you dropped a movie into it, they would all be able to retrieve it. There is another option - just drop the Movie into your "Public" folder, in Dropbox. Copy the link, and send the link via email to whoever you wish to view it. When they click the link, it will automatically open their web browser and start playing the movie. They can then save if they wish. A quick read of Dropbox features will help you decide which will work best for you. I've found Dropbox extremely easier to use than YouSendIt for transfers of all kinds - large and small.

Donna,
I can't be positive, but I think that both the name and the company name have to be entered exactly as it was on the original purchase of QT Pro. I know that my Registration Code includes it all. Unfortunately, I don't think that you can verify the purchase with Apple since they remove purchase records after 18 months (according to what I've read).

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
I have QT 7 Pro happily running on my old PB G4, now running 10.5.8. It says it is QT 7 Pro (QuickTime Player verion 7.7 (1680.25) and the "Registered To and Registration Code are the same ones I am typing into the version I have on Mountain Lion. However, when I first typed in the info I typed in the wrong "registered to" name. the version I was trying was QY 7.6.6. I am now downloading 7.7. Maybe I had the wrong version. Interesting. It won't let me install QT 7.7 because QT X is already installed. So I guess I can't have both on the new MBP. However, I can still use the older version on my previous Powerbook. I've attached the message.

I have both QuickTime Player 10.1 and QuickTime Player 7 installed on my system - running Lion 10.7.4 A screen shot of my QuickTime Player 7 version follows.

QT 7

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:

Donna, here's a link that may solve your problem installing QT 7.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Well, I just downloaded a different version of QT 7 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923) and that one will allow me to install. However, it's hiding in the Utilities folder, instead of the Applicatrions folder. And it accepts my registration code. It's version 7.6.6. Weird.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,