Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    moving from iMovie to fcpx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moving from iMovie to fcpx
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Is it possible to move a project from iMovie '11 to fcpx 10.2? (and is iMovie '11 the older software that came out before iMovie 10? cuz thats kind of confusing I think)

If no one actually looks at the "DV Sig" portion of the bulletin board anymore, I can repost this question under "open discussions"

Thanks!

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Dale:

iMovie 11 as you are calling it is actually iMovie version 9.0.9 that came out with the package of software iLife 11. So the most recent version of iMovie is actually correctly numbered as 10.

Regarding moving a project from iMovie to FCP should be as easy as exporting from iMovie and importing into FCP.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Any advice on how to go from iMovie 9.09 to fcpx 10.2? Should iMovie 10 be involved in the process?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I would try doing the same thing as I suggested above.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Are you saying to export a final cut xml file from the share menu of iMovie 9.09 and then open that in fcpx 10.2? that is the only export feature I can find on iMovie 9.09. Can fcpx open xml imports from early versions of iMovie, or do i need to use something like 7 to x?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I would export, via the share option as a ".mov" file using the QuickTime option and then import that into FCP.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to move the entire project from iMovie to fcpx .. not just output the finished movie.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dale:
Are you saying to export a final cut xml file from the share menu of iMovie 9.09 and then open that in fcpx 10.2? that is the only export feature I can find on iMovie 9.09. Can fcpx open xml imports from early versions of iMovie, or do i need to use something like 7 to x?

Why not just try it. As you can see in the screen capture below there is a menu choice to export a Final Cut XML file.