Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  DV SIG    Screen capture sync problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screen capture sync problem
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
When trying to capture "hi-rez" TV show video over the web through SnapzProX, I get sync problems between video and audio nearing the end if the recording (40-45 minutes). When using QuickTime "New Screen Recording", trying to record a full-screen image of the shows, I can't get a Frame Rate higher than 11. I'm using an iMac 2.66 QC i5, 4Gig RAM.

Any ideas?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Well, you're decoding and trying to simultaneously record HD video, which is probably pushing the limits of your system. What video card does your Mac have (you'll probably need to go to "About This Mac" and then select "More Info", then look at the Graphics/Displays section)? The Chipset and VRAM totals would be good to know.

Also, where is the source? If this is from a Flash site, know that Flash is very inefficient and uses up a *lot* of CPU on a Mac.

If the source is the web, you might want to look into some of the many programs that can download a video stream rather than you play it and capture it.

You should probably look at the Activity Monitor to see what's using up the CPU on your Mac at the time, and to see if you're running low on memory.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Jack,
The site is a Flash video-using. The CPU usage in SnapzProX is about a fourth when I don't try to capture a full screen image (just the smaller box), the memory is never more than half used.

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Also, is there a way to "free" the inactive memory, or does that matter?

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Also (again), what programs download video streams?

One other thing, I use a Toslink cable to capture the audio when recording (audio out to input).

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arrakian:
Also, is there a way to "free" the inactive memory, or does that matter?

"Inactive" is the same as "Free" except the system remembers the last use (and does not clear the data) and will hand it back on request in preference to "Free" which must be re-loaded with whatever a program deeds. This results in faster allocation of memory in some cases.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Memory doesn't seen to be the issue (although it did throw me that you've changed all the default colors - that pic graph is really messed up otherwise!).

You didn't show us what the CPU looks like, but just the fact that the site is Flash-based is probably your main problem. Flash is terribly inefficient on Macs.

Many of the streaming capture programs are site dependent (they are specifically for YouTube, for example). One that's less dependent is MPEG Streamclip. You should search at VersionTracker for streaming capture applications and try a few to see what works best with your particular site.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
Memory doesn't seen to be the issue (although it did throw me that you've changed all the default colors - that pic graph is really messed up otherwise!)..

Messed up usage, or crazy colors?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The colors have been re-assigned. For example, blue by default is Inactive and red is wired, and you have them reversed. Green is Free normally. Not a big deal, but the changes did make the chart confusing at first.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
The colors are set up in the way I think of them in general terms:

White = blank, empty (Free)

Green = Go (Active)

Red = Stop (Inactive)

Blue went to Electric Blue, Electric to electricity, electricity is wired ...Blue = Wired

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If that works for you, great, but when showing the results to others it is a bit confusing.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I didn't know there was a standard config on this color wheel. I would change it back except 1) I don't remember the original ones and 2) I'm too lazy to do it to all my other CPU's Smile