Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Adobe Lightroom catalog limit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adobe Lightroom catalog limit?
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted
Is there a size limit to an Adobe Lightroom catalog?

Is there a severe performance penalty for large catalogs, i.e., more than 50,000 images?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
The upper limit I believe is around 500,000.
With any database of any kind (for images) there is always a performance hit the more images you have in it.

LR catalog management is something that I'm very passionate about.

Since a catalog is merely a pointer to the original images, I don't see the need to have one giant catalog with everything I've ever shot in it. My catalogs are organized by category. For example, I have a MacGroup catalog, a Landscapes catalog, a Family catalog, a Work catalog, etc. etc. My largest one has around 27,000 images in it (and technically that could be pruned way down if performance starts to become an issue).

I see no need to have say my MacGroup pictures and my Family Reunion pictures in the same catalog.

Catalogs can be imported into other catalogs. Images can be in multiple catalogs.

You can really take advantage of catalogs if you devise a system that works for you.

Stepping down off my soapbox now...

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Terry.

I'll probe the limits of my system with about 125,000 images and use LR to sort them into manageable categories.

This is not a short term project.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Does Lightroom work with DVD juke boxes for large collections of images?

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Lightroom will work with any mountable volume. So if the Finder can see it, LR can see it and catalog it.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post