Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Airport x-rays, scanners and digital cameras and video safety-
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airport x-rays, scanners and digital cameras and video safety-
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted
How do you travel when flying on an airplane? I have heard that digital video cameras/digital cameras and or digital files can become damaged walking through the airport scanners/x-rays. I am concerned because I am flying out for the first time in 10 years and I know technology has changed since I have been on a plane. My carry on bag will only be my electronics, ipod, camera, equipment. etc. Any suggestion as to how to store or carry my SDHC Cards so they don't get damaged? Or should that even be a concern?
Thanks,
Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I've flown recently with my digital camera and otherelectronic equipment and had no problems with any type of file corruption. The TSA says their machines are safe for all digital equipment and computers.

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I fly with all kinds of electronics on a regular basis and have done so for years with zero damage caused by screening.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted Hide Post
Its been awhile since I've flown but I seem to remember asking the security people to do a hand check on my electronics rather than put them thru a scanner. With things being as hectic as they are these days, I don't even know if the TSA will even agree to do a hand check. And speaking of that, a friend of mine was at the airport and specifically requested a pat-down rather than go thru the full body scanner, fearing the unknown long term effects of those x-rays. The TSA was not pleased because they had to call over TWO agents, one to watch and the other to do the pat-down. Make sure you leave for the airport wayyyyyy ahead of time.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the great responses. for some reason, I was under the impression that the airport x-rays did bad things to the digital equipment-maybe that was in the old days.

Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
It was film (rolls or in the camera) that the X-rays could damage.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
That's what I must have been thinking-thanks Donna Smile
On a similar topic-I wonder why we have to turn off all electronic devices when taking off and landing-does it really interfere with airplane controls?

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
In a word, No! However, if they tell everyone to turn everything off it eliminates consumer devices as a possible cause for any type of interference that they are experiencing. The big problem with this is that I have "accidentally" left things on in my bag or coat. So although they "ask", it's not really enforced and therefore if someone really wanted to purposely cause interference with a device, they could.

Security Theater at its best.

quote:
Originally posted by artphanto:
That's what I must have been thinking-thanks Donna Smile
On a similar topic-I wonder why we have to turn off all electronic devices when taking off and landing-does it really interfere with airplane controls?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Thank you Terry, I know you have been through hundreds of airports Smile The reason I asked was because I would love to tape the approach-it looks cool as it lands) I didn't know if that was allowed, didn't want to be locked up.