Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Image Capture to Photoshop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Image Capture to Photoshop
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
When I import a CD cover image from my scanner (600dpi), I get pics with "pin-holes" in it -even with "Descreen" selected. Scanning wallet-sized photos doesn't have this problem. What gives?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Print vs photo? The type of paper it's printed on? Try scanning school photos from my era. They were all printed on that horrible textured paper. Instead of scanning, try what I do. I find the CD on Amazon and grab the cover image there.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
CD covers are 4 color, with a halftone screen made up of many dots. Photos are continuos tone and do not have a screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

http://runnycustard.wordpress....tual-studies-task-7/

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Bibo:
So the higher scan resolution is picking up the dots?

Phyllis:
I should have said "I get files with 'pin-holes'..." . I mainly scan images for use in iTunes when there isn't a suitable copy of the CD/LP artwork available to me. Suitable in this case means:

* Image size at least 500x500dpi

* I can't better the iTunes, Amazon, or CD Universe (or wherever I've found a particular) version.

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Yes, higher resolution will show the dots more. I usually scan my CD covers at 400 x 400. This seems to look just fine in my 4th gen iPod touch. You can see the dots on a computer screen, but on an iPod/iPhone 400 x 400 looks great. Here's a screen capture from my iPod touch of an album with a 400 x 400 scan.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Great album!

I get dots @600di, and pixeation in some areas above 200dpi. I've only recently started getting decent 200dpi scans when I discovered the "Descreen" selection. The thing that gets me is that I was getting great scans from smaller-sized photos at much higher (2400)dpi settings.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Scan them at 100 dpi

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Maybe for an LP, but for CD covers, that's too low for me. If push comes to shove, I'll get a scanner that can handle the job.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Are you printing these or are they just for the album art? 5x5 inches at 100 dpi is plenty for an iPhone/iPod screen.

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
They're for album art, but for the iMac. Sometimes I take the cover full-sceen and use the popup controls for playback.