Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Picture with black line at bootom, any clue?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture with black line at bootom, any clue?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted
Hi all,
Started taking some pictures today and a black line is showing at the bottom. I have no clue where this black line is originating. I switched lenses and the line still shows. I guess the line is either from my lighting or my camera going bad.

I use a Nikon D80 with a 50mm and 80-200mm lenses. Do I see a new camera under my Christmas tree? Any thought will be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cjhall,

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Please downsize the picture so that we can see it. You do not need the full res for questions.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Where was the camera when the picture was taken? It would be really tough to get that line from incorrect lighting. Try a photo of a light colored wall, nothing else and post it.

Please size it smaller.

Have you inspected the inside of the camera to see if there is a foreign object inside?

Tried to download your image to inspect it closely and could not.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
My good friends at Huron Camera in Dexter (734-426-4095) had me slow down my shutter speed from 200, and that corrected my problem!

Thanks Brian for checking this thread. Pictures are need for last minute family stocking stuffers.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Yes, this problem results from a shutter speed that is higher than your flash can sync to.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
Terry, just between you and I, this is your fault.
I saw you shoot models with you 70-200mm, so I had to try mine. So I set the shutter speed to 200. I guess my old D80 can't sync above 160.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
It's not your D80, it's your flash. Smile
My cameras would do the same thing if I went above 200. It's a common issue with flash photography no matter which camera/lens you're using.

When I want to go higher than 200 I use continuous lighting (Westcott Spiderlite TD5s). Otherwise I'm going to see the same black bar you did.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
Terry,
You are one great educator!

Detroit Public Schools should let you be in charge, and then pay you the $400,000 a year they pay the top guy.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Now why would you want to punish Terry like that? What's he ever done to you?<g>

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post