Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Slide scanner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slide scanner
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
In my never ending quest to clean things up, my New Year's project is to scan my slides. I purchased a Pana Vue slide scanner. It works fairly simply but the slides are rather saturated when imported. Is this inherent to these scanners?
I cannot adjust the light of the scanner.

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Normally the scanner software will let you make some adjustments when scanning. Also you can use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to make the desired/needed corrections which is what is normally done. You will be hard pressed to find a solution that pops out 100% ready to use images. I never have with any scanner I have ever owned. The same holds true for digital cameras both point-and-shoot or $2000.00 DSLRs.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I just wish that a scanner existed that you could increase or decrease light exposure

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
That would change the temperature of the light resulting in more of the same problem.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I gave up on slide/film scanners long ago. I use ScanCafe instead. My feeling was that for whatever number of slides/negatives I have I'm not making new ones. Therefore investing in the hardware and the amount of work to get good scans just wasn't worth the effort.

ScanCafe cleans and color corrects for pennies. You also get to pick and choose which of your slides/negatives that you send in that you actually want to pay for as they will scan them all and you're only on the hook for 50% of the quantity you send it. They return all your originals to you.

See my review here.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Sending the Pan VUe back
getting the slides ready for ScanCafe

The hat in Egypt

Priceless!