Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    PSE8 Image Resize
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSE8 Image Resize
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
Is there a way to set images (photos, or pics from the internet) to open at a preset resolution when using "Image>resize>Image Size..."?

I like to start with 100 pixels per inch, but PSE8 defaults to 72.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
It's not PSE 8s fault it's because you downloaded a 72 DPI resolution image which is the display default resolution. You can always use PSE to change to 100 DPI (and resave the image), but your image will become smaller in size.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brian. That's what I was doing all along. I didn't realize people still used 72 dpi with today's higher rez screens and cameras.

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The 72 DPI screen resolution is not "Our" choice it is a fact of life no matter what your monitor is capable of. The following is off my 24" 1920 x 1200 display.

Try this test. Using this message as a test example. Do Command-Option-4 and select a portion of the screen. Find the resulting screen capture and open it in Photoshop or PS Elements. In Photoshop select the Image Menu> Then Image Size> and look at the DPI. See the following screen capture.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
What is the reason that you resample your screen grabs to 100 ppi? If you have a specific use for them, and you do a bunch of them, this may save you some time. Note that I'm not sure if PSE8 has this function available. In full versions of Photoshop, you can create a simple Action to do the resample. Once the Action is created, you can save the original 72 ppi screen grabs to a specific folder. Then, with let's say 40 grabs in the folder, you can Batch Process the entire folder of images with a single click, using the Action that was created.

If you have the need, and PSE8 has the capability, and you'd like to know more - let us know.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Mike:
On my first computer, when I first got PHotoshop, I had the screen set so that 100 pixels equalled an inch; I've just kept that dpi setting since. I don't batch resize because I do all the photo editing right after the size change, so I only have to open the pic once.

Brian:
I've done that before. I just thought there was some setting I was missing, so I could avoid having to resize the image every time I do a CD cover.