Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Need digital camera repair, any recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need digital camera repair, any recommendations?
 Login/Register

Padawan
Picture of Gary Molnar
posted
I have a Canon 20D that needs repair. The shutter constantly fires. I've pulled the battery to stop the firing. When reinserting the battery the shutter starts firing even with the camera power switch in the "OFF" position.
Does anyone have a camera repair shop recommendation?

Posts: 50 | Location: Leonard, Michigan usa | Registered: November 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Canon (www.canon.com) will repair it for (my guesstimate) about $393.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
Midwest Camera Repair in Wyandotte (734) 285-2220 or ABL Electronics in Madison Heights (248) 588-6663.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
This seems to be a popular problem. Some say it's from moisture, most say it's just wear on the shutter switch. All said they returned it to Canon and they either fixed it free ( I assume under warranty ) or the cost was 180 - 200 dollars.

There was a great SLR camera repair shop in Wyandotte but I can't remember the name right now. Oh Yeah, i think it's Midwest Camera. They took care of my Minolta.

Now if you are feeling spunky... you can try this

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/..._Shutter_Release.pdf

Acording to this guy the part is low priced

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=107901

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Calvin,

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I suggest you call Canon. They repaired a video camera of mine which was w-a-y out of warranty because the problem I was having was a known problem with that model. Free. As soon as I told them what model it was, they told me to send it in. I don't remember if I had to pay postage to send it to them, but it was worth it. I had actually called them in the first place to find out where I could have it repaired, since it was old.

Posts: 2266 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
Picture of Gary Molnar
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the help!

Posts: 50 | Location: Leonard, Michigan usa | Registered: November 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this is still available, but a couple of years ago my point'n'shoot S110 got its LCD screen cracked. Got an estimate from Canon for repair, but they also offered an exchange option, whereby I got a newer camera (a factory refurb S420 with warranty), for a tad more than the repair price for the older unit. This might be worth checking into as well.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post