Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Point & Shoot Camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Point & Shoot Camera
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
I am looking for a decent pocket-sized point & shoot for the times I don't want to lug my DSLR around. I have been looking at these from Canon
PowerShot SD780 IS ($229 at Amazon & Dell.com)
and the PowerShot SD1200 IS ($169 at Dell.com)

Does anyone have experience with either of these or another camera they'd recommend in the $250 or less range? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bibo (Jim Nichols),

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
This one is great, we bought one last year, really great pix. Small size.

Canon PowerShot A590 IS link to web site

Digital Camera
Item Code: 2462B001
Suggested Retail Price: $129.99†

Overview

The PowerShot A590 IS will astound you with its power-packed performance and impressive value. It's got 8.0-megapixels, a 4x optical zoom, an Optical Image Stabilizer and a large 2.5-inch LCD. A range of shooting modes - from manual to automatic including Canon's new Easy Mode - make picture-taking carefree. A DIGIC III Image Processor with Enhanced Canon Face Detection assures natural-looking results, while Motion Detection Technology reduces blur. For added creativity, attach wide or telephoto converter lenses.

Allows users to find the face or faces they want are in the frame to ensure excellent focus and proper illumination.

Enables users to capture images at a 16:9 aspect ratio so images can be viewed on a widescreen TV or monitor without visible warping or cropping.

Viewing screen enables user to view images or videos they've taken as well as set preferences, choose shooting modes, etc.

Lens capability of 35mm film equivalent 35-140mm which makes everything appear up close and unforgettable.

Detects and removes red-eye from images as the images are in playback mode on the LCD monitor.

I tried to use Canons email this page function but it would not accept your "public profile" email address as valid (bibo@_nospam_macgroup.org). They apparently cannot deal with the underscores.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I have a Panasonic Lumix DZ1 which is a few years old. It is only 5 megapixels but it has a 10x optical zoom (which is very important for my uses) and fits very nicely in my purse or a pocket. Therefore I can carry it always. There is probably a more current model you might look at.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
You have exactly two days to talk to Adray's about camera recommendations before they close. Salesman like Mike Palmer know about the really important issues for discerning photographers who want "decent" cameras. Internet reviews only bring up some of the important issues - if any at all.

Camera Mart might also have recommendations. Then, the next closest good camera store is in Kalamazoo. Unfortunately, we can no longer count on B&H Photo for good service.

In addition to some of the key features already mentioned in "decent" cameras, there is the always-ignored 3rd resolution dimension - color depth. Try to choose a camera with 10 - 12 bits per color pixel. It's almost never stated in specifications.

JPEG's destroy color. Most point-n-shoots only record in JPEG's. You'll be better off if you can find one that records in RAW or TIFF formats. At low price points, you'll probably be trading uncompressed recording formats (i.e., "decent" photos) for other features (like sound or video modes). You'll need to make the trade-offs among those features.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Hey chuck:

What did you purchase at B&H that you had a problem with. I purchase quite a bit there and have always been very happy with both Service and Price. Also as a NAPP member they offer FREE UPS shipping.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Chuck, Yes unfortunately the smaller point & shoots only shoot in JPEG mode, it's not until you get into the larger more expensive models that shoot RAW. Also you loose manual shooting modes, but that's what my DSLR is for. I'm really leaning towards the PowerShot SD780 IS the more research I do, it can shoot 720p H.264 movies.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I have a Cannon A720IS which is a few years old at this point and have been very happy with it. It takes great pictures and is small in size, but not so small as to feel like you don't have anything to hold onto. One thing I like about it is the fact that it has a view finder as well as the screen. It can also be used in a variety of manual modes and has a 6X zoom. Batteries are AA's, which means you can always find them at most stores and battery life with rechargeables is great.

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I have been using the 7.0 Mega pixel version of this camera which now comes in a 10.0 version. Has a viewfinder as well as an LCD screen.

http://www.microcenter.com/sin...l?product_id=0305983

It may not be as small as you might want. Microcenter has a wide range of cameras ao you may want to take a trip and see.

If you just want an economical P&S might daughter is using this one.

http://www.microcenter.com/sin...l?product_id=0262660

I like to touch before I buy.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1725 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I ended up going with the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS.
Here are a few sample shots
(still need to do some HD Video). It seems to produce best results at 5MP or 8MP instead of the 12MP it is capable of. It's a small sensor on a small camera, you can only cram so much image info onto a small sensor!. Perhaps I'll put a review together for the newsletter after I use it for a month.
And here's how small it is compared to my iPod.

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps I'll put a review together for the newsletter after I use it for a month

Bibo, don't "perhaps", do a review. I would be interested in your comments on a point and shoot camera.

Plus it'll make good reading for the magazine.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1725 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Hey Brian:

I didn't purchase anything. I called and visited B&H. Their service is significantly declining, as is inventory and display/sales quality in the store.

B&H is not immune from the larger forces in society. Two recessions, the 9-11 bombing, the digital transition, and the Internet have affected them also. There are more cameras than ever that they need to cover, and models change more rapidly than ever. The cameras are more complicated, and "fiefdoms" don't cooperate very well. [... OK, fiefdoms don't cooperate at all. Adobe doesn't get RAW file info from Canon, Nikon, etc. The camera manufacturers have been slow to correct their problems (expensive flashes that don't work, lens cheapening, no advance in lens resolution while sensors double every 2 years), Adobe doesn't tell users how their color correction works. The printer manufacturers want to sell-peddle-boost-hustle their half functional "cash cows", er, printers. The accessory crowd has bandaids within their niche to patch poorly thought-out systems from the film era. The storage people are years behind the need for integrated archiving systems. Apple hasn't modernized the Finder to do what Adobe can only partly provide through very expensive add-ons & patches (called Lightroom, PhotoShop, and Bridge). Adobe hasn't introduced integrated storage hardware to complement their Apple Finder patches. Apple seems to have a penchant for abandoning ideas and more advanced software a couple years after introduction.]

In 1998, just after they moved into their new location, service was excellent and they had the largest inventory in America. The sales people knew what they were selling, or at least, how to get answers. There was a pride in service. Perhaps that was a bit of a holdover from the film era as we entered the digital era?

By 2002, sales quality had noticeably dropped. Floor inventory had dropped. Knowledge had changed. Their attitude and interest level had changed. Salesmen had been cut, and you might be required to stand in line for 1.5 hours. B&H modernized to reflect a financially re-oriented world.

B&H is still a brick and mortar store, but they're suffering the same fate as so many other brick and mortar stores: modernity. You really need to know what you're buying before you buy it. You won't be seeing Canon reps at B&H as you would at your local camera store. Many answers need to come from the Internet, and it takes a lot of sifting to get accurate answers there.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Here's a sample video from the camera (I had to lighten it up slightly in QuickTime).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6GEVWXsvwE

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
That's very nice resolution, which is perhaps a testament to your YouTube skill, as much as your camera's quality. Much better than most on YouTube.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Some more samples. Shot some video at the Tori Amos concert (front row) and a night video on the top floor of the Courtyard by Marriott in Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bibojim