Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Photowalk Suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photowalk Suggestions?
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted
Hi there,
we will be doing more photowalks this year. Last year we did the Detroit Zoo and had a great time. We also did the Detroit Riverwalk as part of the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk.

Where would you like to go this year?
Although I'm not opposed to locations that cost money, it's much easier to get a larger group when the venue is free to low cost.

Keep in mind when you're making your suggestion that the location has to allow for a couple dozen people walking through taking pictures. Some locations require permits in advance or don't allow photography at all.

So let's hear it! Where would you like to walk this summer?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
1) Greenfield Village

2) Any of the area MetroParks (I'd like Kensington)

3) Cranbrook would be nice, but I think they have a limit on group size.

4) Mackinac Island would be great... but it's more of a weekend jaunt. I have connections up there should a group of us want to go.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Right off the top of my head.

1) Belle Isle - Especially the Flower Conservatory

2) Rouge Park -

3) Downtown Detroit - Older Bldgs and New

4) Mexican Village - Greektown

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of MaryG
posted Hide Post
The art deco buildings in Detroit: Fisher, ATT, Penobscott, Guardian, Albert Kahn, Maccabbee and David Stott buildings...etc.

Posts: 190 | Location: Shelby Township, Michigan | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Someplace outside, with a stream or river, flowers, plants and the obvious insect life. That would work for me.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Me too and that would be where exactly?

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:
Someplace outside, with a stream or river, flowers, plants and the obvious insect life. That would work for me.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Re: Nature

-- Edward N. Hines Drive almost anywhere between Dearborn and Northville. There are some neat dilapidated buildings along the way.

-- Barton Pond and Dam near Ann Arbor. Woods, wild flowers, water plant, dam, Barton Pond, railroad trestle, river. Save the KMZ file and use Google Earth to see the location and many pictures.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

MacGroup_Nature_Walk.kmz (650 Bytes, 212 downloads)

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much flowing water (streams, waterfalls, etc.) but here's a couple of ideas:

Hidden Lake Gardens, Tipton MI, Irish Hills, an MSU project
$3 admission I think.
http://hiddenlakegardens.msu.edu/Home.aspx

U of Mich Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum. Dixboro Rd, east of 23, south off Plymouth Rd.
Outdoor gardens & trails free; Conservatory $5
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/mbg/default.asp

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
The conservatory at Belle Isle is really nice.

Posts: 75 | Location: Berkley, MI, USA | Registered: September 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
Me too and that would be where exactly?

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:

Terry:

I am working on some ideas as to "where" and will report back as soon as the information is available.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Going back to the Henry Ford idea (i.e., Greenfield Village), photo opportunities abound during special events, like:

• Civil War Remembrance, May 23-25 (video ops here)
  • Motor Muster, June 20-21
  • Fourth of July, July 1-4
  • Old Car Festival, Sept. 12-13

These events offer different types of photography and videography for different tastes: portraiture, inanimate subjects, etc. The lighting changes throughout the day, and you should be able to record some dramatic effects, rain or shine, indoors or out. There's some opportunity for interesting audio recording as well.

There is a charge for entry into the Village.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
If we don't wait too long, even just looking out the window is interesting!

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of MaryG
posted Hide Post
Very nice photo, Jim.

Posts: 190 | Location: Shelby Township, Michigan | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post