Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    iPhone 4S camera blows out highlights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 4S camera blows out highlights
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted
Annie Leobowitz recently compared the iPhone 4S camera with a high end Canon DSLR. She was impressed except that the iPhone automatic exposure blows the detail out of highlights.

I'm trying out an iPhone 4S and got the same problem of blown highlights.

Anyone have a bright idea to control this?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Yes:

Why not use a camera.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
You could try turning on the HDR option in the camera app. http://www.macworld.com/articl.../hdrdosanddonts.html

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
You'll find that most Point-N-Shoots along with high-end camera phones can keep up with DSLRs under certain conditions such as normal 50mm views with the sun coming in over your shoulder for lighting. Some small cameras do very well in close-up mode also. However, when you are trying to capture an unusually challenging subject under anything but ideal conditions, better glass, a larger sensor, and faster electronics will be your best shot, and in some cases your only shot.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of switcher
posted Hide Post
I like the iPhone 4S camera because it is always with me. That being said, as stated above, I have found it is OK under ideal conditions. It is not great for low light situations and forget trying to capture anything in motion (at least still shots).

Posts: 182 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Just a thought- Imagine having this conversation in the 1960's. We've come a long way in a short time.

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:
Why not use a camera.
Well, it is a camera, but the real reason is that it is difficult to unpack, aim, and shoot my Canon 30D DSLR while operating a motor vehicle. And, I almost always have my iPhone with me but not always my 30D.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post