Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Archival Printing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archival Printing
 Login/Register

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted
Have a friend who is an amateur photog with a new Nikon and is trying to find a good place to have some of his better shots printed with archival inks. He doesn't do enough printing to justify the cost of a high-end printer, but he wants something better than Staples/OfficeMax quality. Suggestions?

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Phyl:

Loan him a copy of Photoshop User magazine. The back is full of quality places that can handle his requirements.

Brian

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
He was hoping to find something local.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Any of the "pigmented" inkjet printers such as an Epson 2400 which prints up to 13"x19" uses Ultrachrome Ink (and which I happen to have one for sale at $250) are archival when printed on the appropriate paper. Over 100 years for Color, 200 years for B&W is guaranteed by Epson.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I have a problem with Epson printers. Unless used almost constantly the heads foul up. My friend won't be printing enough to justify buying any printer, and would rather leave the printing end to someone else. Even when he was shooting film, he never got into the darkroom end of things, like some of the rest of us. (Anyone want an enlarger?)

—P M Evans

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Phyl:

You can verify with Terry White Costco does some really great printing. Don't know about the archive quality though. Almost any inkjet print will last a very long time if it is framed behind glass.

I would bet that what he prints now will be stuck in the attic in less than 10 years.

Still think that the out of town route would be his best and least expensive route.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Genuine Epson Inks in the relatively newer Epson printers are very resistant to clogging. You get into trouble with non O.E.M. inks and papers--yes papers too because the possibilty of unstable paper dust and fibers could cause issues.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post