Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Digital Photography    Aperture - How do I backup my adjustments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aperture - How do I backup my adjustments
 Login/Register

Padawan
Picture of Greg Savage
Yahoo IM
posted
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how to backup/save the adjustments that I've made in Aperture along with the original RAW files on both DVD and external HD. I'm using Aperture 2 and will possibly be upgrading to 3. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 45 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aperture - How do I backup my adjustments

This may help. Link to the following information.

Apple.com > Support > Discussions > Aperture > Aperture Installation, Setup and General Usage

Topic : Aperture: Can I backup my entire Aperture library at once?
Topic Archived This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List

Permlink Replies : 2 - Pages : 1 - Last Post : Dec 8, 2010 10:05 AM by: Ian Wood
Andrew02

Aperture: Can I backup my entire Aperture library at once?
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 5:29 PM

Soon I will be backing up my my entire notebook to a portable external hard drive to be placed in a safety deposit box as an off site backup. For a general day to day back up I use Aperture's Vault system. But I am very hesitant to do so for a MASTER backup because I don't like the idea of being tied to Aperture if I ever needed to retrieve my data. So is there a way to just have aperture export my entire collection to the hard drive at once instead of going to each project and exporting project by project? Thanks!!

15" MBP4,1 2.5GHZ 4GB RAM 8600M GT Mac OS X (10.5.2)
William Lloyd

Re: Aperture: Can I backup my entire Aperture library at once?
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 5:54 PM in response to: Andrew02
Helpful

Well...

Note there is no way to export the adjustments you make (levels, retouching, definition, saturation adjustments, etc.) out of Aperture.

As far as your master backup, note you really aren't tied to Aperture if you need to retrieve your data. The masters are always accessible, even when they are inside the Aperture library. That's because the Aperture library is just a set of folders. They are what is called a "package," but if you want to check out what's in the Aperture library you can just right click the library and select "Show package contents..." All your masters are in there.

So as for exporting all your masters in one fell swoop, I don't know of a way to do it. You have to do it a project at a time (and you can elect to export XMP sidecars containing all your keywords, if you wish to read them from some other app that can read XMP files). But that's not how I'd do it if I wanted to access all my masters... here's what I'd do:

Right click my Aperture library and select "Show package contents..."
Once I was in there, I'd type a period in the Finder search box (all file names have a dot in them...)
I'd change the search scope to Aperture library
I'd click the plus below and select "Kind... images"

Voila... every image in your Aperture library will show up in the smart search... your master files, as well as any JPEG previews that Aperture has generated.

You can easily copy these wherever you want, at any time, without needing Aperture installed, so no reason to do the export IMO.

8-Core Mac Pro Mac OS X (10.5.2)
Ian Wood

Re: Aperture: Can I backup my entire Aperture library at once?
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 1:14 AM in response to: Andrew02
Solved

As William has explained, even with a managed Library it's always possible to get the master files out, even if Aperture won't start, or even on a computer without Aperture even installed.

Exporting all your images at once:

Option 1 - move to referenced Masters anyway.
1. Project pane, Library section, 'All Images' Smart Album.
2. Select all.
3. File>Relocate Masters... using a suitable sub-folder preset.

Option 2 - exporting all Master at once (requires lots of disk space).
1. Project pane, Library section, 'All Images' Smart Album.
2. Select all.
3. File>Export>Export Masters... using a suitable sub-folder preset.

Ian

Posts: 1653 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post