Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Programming    Cocoa Development for Beginners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cocoa Development for Beginners
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Chris Doerner-McCary
posted
I stumbled upon a SIMPLE Cocoa tutorial. Sort of like a Cocoa for absolute newbies.

If anyone wants to take a peek

If one beholds the sublime in art - one can view Mac as an artform!

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Doerner-McCary:
I stumbled upon a SIMPLE Cocoa tutorial. Sort of like a Cocoa for absolute newbies.

If anyone wants to take a peek

The URL didn't get attached somehow.

http://cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_cocoa/

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
The tutorial also still offers the tutorials as they apply to Tiger

http://cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_cocoa/tiger/

This is the one I used. Using Xcode this is as simple as it gets.

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
We need to have a Programmers SIG meeting at 2pm before the next MacGroup meeting, Chris.

I've been doing some basic HTML programming, and some basic Automator programming.

Let's show one another what we've discovered. Get Paul Reznick involved, if possible.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
IF we have people that are TRULY interested... sure, count me in

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Let's do it. Let's meet at 2pm before the next meeting.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I'll be there.

Padawan
Picture of Victoria Mielke
posted Hide Post
I have some books I ordered thru Amazon about basic Mac programming, including OS X and Cocoa. Would anyone be interested if I brought them?

---
We are no longer the Knights Who Say Ni ... We are now the Knights Who Say Ecky Ecky Ecky Ptang Zoop Boing Z'nourrrwringnmmm!

Posts: 54 | Location: Sterling Heights, MI USA | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to see what you've found, Victoria.

Shall we begin our meeting at 2pm, if the weather cooperates?

Padawan
posted Hide Post
Two o'clock in the afternoon sounds fine and the right time for a SIG. I hope the snow doesn't fly too high. That is why I didn't attend last month. On 16 December I woke up and found a foot and a half of snow in my driveway and streets of my subdivision. Didn't make it anywhere, including church and the MUG meeting.

---
We are no longer the Knights Who Say Ni ... We are now the Knights Who Say Ecky Ecky Ecky Ptang Zoop Boing Z'nourrrwringnmmm!

Posts: 54 | Location: Sterling Heights, MI USA | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Padawan
posted Hide Post
These books were recommended for new programmers by Jack Beckman:

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X 2nd Edition (note that a Leopard version will appear in May)
http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-2nd/dp/0321213149

Beginning Mac OS X Programming
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Mac-OS-X-Programming/dp/0764573993

Programming in Objective-C (Developer's Library)
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-Developer...tephen/dp/0672325861

---

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
We need to have a Programmers SIG meeting at 2pm before the next MacGroup meeting, Chris.

I've been doing some basic HTML programming, and some basic Automator programming.

Let's show one another what we've discovered. Get Paul Reznick involved, if possible.

I'm a little confused, I see html talked about but i didn't associate it with making software which is what I thought cocoa was. On the other hand,
I can see how writing an html web page or any other kind of web page IS a kind of software.

Anyway, I'm interested too.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
This is great. So glad to see all the interest. I have Xcode and AppleScripting for beginners.

I can and wish to be there. However it depends on moms condition after her surgery tomorrow.

Kirk, I'll call you. Won't be near internet for a few days. Can't skype on dialup. Frown

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Will be there. Surgery went well. Mom's got a long recovery ahead and is in rehab facility. It's amazing how orthopedic surgeons can totally reconstruct an arm and rotator cuff with plates, screws and hardware. I feel like I can now breathe easier again.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I'll be there as well, but as I stated in the other thread I have to set up for a persentation I will be giving at the meeting. Not sure how long I'll be able to meet with all of you but I'll be there.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Just a short recap of the programming SIG meeting today.

We gathered in a side room at the Temple at 2pm.

Four members met and got acquainted. Paul and Chris didn't make the meeting, for the reasons previously cited. One member brought some Cocoa books that Jack B. recommended for beginning programmers. I brought an Automator program for generating student study guides on a flash drive - but we didn't look at it. I also brought a couple HTML books - we didn't review those books. Two members were very interested in digital photography and HD video respectively - and associated needs (like web sites, open source software, etc.). It was mentioned that 2 previous attempts at a DV SIG were successful for short time periods.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
It was a good start. Hopefully we can get the group going and not let it falter. There is so much to the topic of "programming" that we should never run out of ideas or get bored.

---

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
No one answered my question though.

Personally, I would like to pick a particular book to do examples from, then we meet once a month to discuss our progress. I think if we treat this as a "class" that everyone will learn that much faster. As opposed to everyone doing their own thing and then meeting before the main meeting to discuss random problems.

I really don't like the idea of meeting before the main meeting. I would like to meet somewhere once a month, for at least an hour or 2 and work on that month's problems. Much like we do for the Blender Meetings. If no one objects, we can meet right where we have our Blender meetings. We have access to a digital projector and network hookups.

Let me know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul,

========================

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Let's pick the book that you and I started last summer Paul. I already forgot what it was.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Apparently we're going to try and meet before the main meeting today.

========================