Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Programming    In the Wilderness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the Wilderness
 Login/Register

Padawan
Picture of Victoria Mielke
posted
I am alone right now, as if going through uncharted wilderness. I am not sure about any local groups for Mac programming, which would be fantastic.

I have decided to go through the Apress (http://www.apress.com) books on programming for the Mac: C, Objective-C, Cocoa and for iPhone/iPod Touch.

I had some idea for an iPhone app and found these books seemed to be aimed at the beginner.

Posts: 54 | Location: Sterling Heights, MI USA | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
The only person I know of in MacGroup that may be into programing would be the legendary Paul Reznick.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Legendary??? Not quite sure how to take that! :-P

All the books on Mac programming seem to be aimed at the beginner, but that doesn't mean the seasoned programmer won't gain anything out of them. If anything, it just means you'll go through the examples that much quicker.

Even if you do have experience in OOP, Objective C and the Cocoa API's will take some getting used to and therefore, you'll basically be a "beginner" anyway. About the only thing you can do is pick up a copy of the book that most appeals to you and work through the examples one by one.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post