Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Programming    Text Editor for programming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Text Editor for programming
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted
I'll be taking an internet programming class starting in January. I want to use my Mac instead of my windows box. I've read about BBEdit and Textmate. I could always load Eclipse. I'm asking for any advice. I want to learn the basics of the editor before my class starts in January 2010.

I heard that BBEdit doesn't syntax check CCS code. Any confirmation?

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What type of programming (which languages)? Some editors support certain languages better than others.

CCS? Do you maybe mean CSS?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I really don't do a lot of hand coding, so I can't really recommend a text-only editor. As Jack mentioned, picking a text editor depends on the language. I've been learning code along the way, thanks to Adobe Dreamweaver. Obviously, it's little pricey, but would be a great solution. Dreamweaver provides a split view of code and the web page - so that you not only can edit the code, but see what it actually looks like. Dreamweaver supports all languages. Lots of other goodies in Dreamweaver - I've included a screen shot showing only some of them.

You may also find this link useful. w3 Schools

Dreamweaver

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
If you'll be writing XHTML code, you might start with TextWrangler, a FREE app from the same company that produces BBedit. Download here:

http://www.barebones.com/products/

You might also email Barebones to ask the CSS question.

An excellent CSS editor is StyleMaster, which is reasonably priced & produced by folks heavily involved in web standards practice. If you get to the stage where you work with Dreamweaver, I think it's possible to set a preference for CSS coding to be done with Stylemaster. Take a look here:

http://westciv.com/style_master/index.html

I would recommend contacting the instructor or department offering the class to ask what will be taught, and if they recommend a particular Mac app before spending much money on software you don't have already.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
P.S. - I just took a closer look at the StyleMaster web page. Full price: $59.99

BUT $29.95 for educators & students. It's a first-rate, Mac-oriented app. And their tutorials are excellent. Support terrific. I emailed questions a time or 2 & received fast replies.
They're an Australian company.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
No offense... but I tend to cringe a bit when HTML coders refer to it as "programming." Coding, yes, but programming? NO. Sorry - Just a pet peeve of mine. (MHO)

Anyway.. I agree with Mary Jo as I use Text Wrangler. For a free program it's pretty hard to beat. Our web developer just the editor in DreamWeaver.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Just curious: Is the course at a college or university, or privately offered? (Career school or other)

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
The course is part of the Internet professional program at Washtenaw Community College.

I've been a IBM mainframe system programmer for 30 years, and I feel it's time I formally expand my skill set. Most of my coding is done in assembler. I've done some work in C/C++ and quick and dirty stuff in REXX. And it's true I started with Basic, Fortran, Cobol, and PL/I. And I even did do some 1401 autocoder.

I've haven't had the experience of working with an PC/Mac based Integrated Development environment that does syntax checking. In this class all work is hand coded, no code generating tools will be allowed.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
In this class all work is hand coded, no code generating tools will be allowed.

But you still haven't told us in what language. Some tools are better than others for different languages.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
If you're feeling brave and adventurous, you can try using VI! :-P

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
"If you're feeling masochistic and unproductive, you can try using VI!"

I fixed that for you<g>.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
The class is for coding websites by hand. We will be coding HTML,XHMTL, ans CSS.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Contact the bookstore at Washtenaw CC. They can tell you by course number what books are required or suggested for the course. They should have them. I used to reach there. Instructors are required to get that info to the bookstore.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Since you'll just be doing markup, TextWrangler is a good free text editor, as mentioned above. Since you have to do everything by hand, I wonder if you are even allowed to use editors with text completion, like BBEdit (TextEdit's paid version, with many additional options). BBEdit's not cheap - $125. I used TextEdit when I was required to do hand-coding in a class such as yours and it worked out well. The only help you get is some color-coding of syntax (but no other error indication other than no color-coding), which my instructor didn't have a problem with.

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted October 30, 2009 09:42 AM Hide Post
The course is part of the Internet professional program at Washtenaw Community College.

I've been a IBM mainframe system programmer for 30 years, and I feel it's time I formally expand my skill set. Most of my coding is done in assembler. I've done some work in C/C++ and quick and dirty stuff in REXX. And it's true I started with Basic, Fortran, Cobol, and PL/I. And I even did do some 1401 autocoder.

I've haven't had the experience of working with an PC/Mac based Integrated Development environment that does syntax checking. In this class all work is hand coded, no code generating tools will be allowed.

I come from the same programming background. All you will be doing with the HTML is applying syntax to blocks of english text. The approach is pretty straight forward. If you want to see what it looks like, in Safari, go to Safari:View:View Source. You will see there the source coding for the page you just viewed. Look around for some text you recognize, then trace back from that upwards to the top. You'll get an idea. The HTML framework tells what to do with the text (or images, or whatever) to display it in the layout you want. If you are coding from absolute scratch, you can probably even do it in TextEdit. If you view this page in Safari View Source, you will see it first states this is HTML, then it is a Header, then it says what the Title is. Everything starts like that. Everything ends similarly in reverse order, until you basically say, "this is the end" with the proper syntax. What you say in between about the layout of your info affects how it appears on the screen. You tell it where you want it on the screen, whether you want paragraph breaks, etc., etc.. With you background you should have no trouble at all with the HTML part. I hope the course covers how to get your stuff up on a server anywhere, picking a host, etc.. Do check with the bookstore. Unless this is a brand new course, which I doubt, they should have the books used in the course (or special course notes) right there.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
quote:
The class is for coding websites by hand. We will be coding HTML,XHMTL, ans CSS.

There are TONS of books on these. If you've never done any of this type coding, virtually any beginner book would be worth while. Try your public library.

One more free source: tutorials here:
http://www.w3schools.com/

The web standards site here:
http://www.w3.org/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,