Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rumor Mill    Translucent menubar - to be optional
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Translucent menubar - to be optional
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted
The upcoming update of Leopard 10.5.2 is said to be a very large update but one of features will make it optional to have the menu bar translucent...... FINALLY

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It may be machine dependent. On my iBook test machine with the 10.5.2 beta that option does not appear. You might need certain video cards to get that option.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
On your iBook is the menu bar currently translucent? If it is, it seems like they would allow it to be turned off. In other words if your current graphics card supports that feature, then why not allow it to be turned off? Not looking for an answer. Just thinking out loud.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
It may be machine dependent. On my iBook test machine with the 10.5.2 beta that option does not appear. You might need certain video cards to get that option.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
At first I thought it was, but after changing the background pic a few times I see it's not. The Apple logo and text were all in black, like the default background. But they stayed black when I changed the background to different colors.

I doubt the video card in this iBook is up to showing all of Leopard's tricks. So that's probably why the option doesn't show up for me.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Maybe we will find out for sure this Friday concerning the translucent menubar according to Mac Rumors. They are guessing that 10.5.2 might be released this Friday.

It will be interesting to see how large the update will be. Some have been saying that it might be 300 or 400 meg. If this is true, this would be one of the largest one time updates ever. The largest update I can think of was 10.1 when Apple released the update on a CD that people could pickup at CompUSA.

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You can't go by the numbers on the developer's seeds - they often have debug code in them (which can be a significant portion). Still, based on the seed notes, there are a *lot* of areas with changes and fixes, so it won't be small. I have been using the "combo" updates rather than the "deltas" from 10.5.1, and they're only slightly bigger.

===

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Jack,
What ratio would you esimate the download size be based on past updates between the developer seed and the customer download. Another rumor site has the latest build at almost 500 meg

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, they're off by over 100 MB for starters!

It's hard to say with any certainty. I'd guess you'll see 50-100 MB drop off when the thing goes live. But who knows, they may have dumped all the debug code already! There's a LOT of fixes in there.

===

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack...
So it looks like 10.5.2 will be a very large update. Now if Apple will only get this update released Smile

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
This update is going for perfection. Another version was seeded....OS X 10.5.2 ( 9C31 )

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately in software there is no such thing.
There will always be bugs (when the software is as complex as an operating system). With any update, bugs are prioritized by the amount of people that they are likely to affect.
1. Crashing bugs are usually the highest priority
2. Next would be compatibility bugs
3. Then on to feature tweaks/additions
4. Anything else is usually deferred to the next update.

Apple's goal with 10.5.2 is to fix as many high priority bugs as possible. Everything else will be deferred to 10.5.3.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post